BoB73
1 Copper

Exchange 2010 VSS very slow with Avamar5. SP2

Hey.

I'm trying to back a small Exchange 2010 information store with the Exchange VSS plugin. It's about 45g. It ran for 7 hours last night, and did not complete. Does anyone have any ideas? 

Thanks for your help.

Aaron

The server is a VM (v4) running with 2 CPUs, 8g ram, connected via ISCSI on 10k drives. Exchange runs great during the day.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Exchange 2010 VSS very slow with Avamar5. SP2

Hi,

Was the backup you mentioned is the first-time backup?

For performance tuning:

• Client Related –

• CPU/MEMORY/IO:

1, If CPU related, check the backup logs, search “status“, if  CPU usage is 0% or 1%, it means avatar did have a chance to use CPU then CPU is the bottleneck;

2,If Mem related, check if we have enough swap with vmstat or other tools;

3,If I/O related,  copy a large file for testing then use iometers or other I/O testing tools for testing;

• CACHE:

1,file cache-  for filesystem backup, a normal file will use 44 bytes, then to backup 1m files will need 44m f.cache; When backup filesystem, hash cache can be set small to save the memory. If lack of f.cache, the related information will be found in the backup logs;

2,hash cache – for database backup,  to backup 100gb size db will use 200 mb size p.cache. If lack of p.cache, there will not be related information as what f.cache does.

If will need check the “hit rate”, should open --stats for avtar, either avtar.cmd or GUI;

• 3RD-APP:

1,Examples like anti-virus softwares (symantec endpoint)

2,New feature for v5, can use --bigdirgroup to let more files loaded into the memory;

Hormigo
3 Argentium

Hi,

The firt backup of the Mail Box is very slow.

The second on will be faster than the first.

0 Kudos
BoB73
1 Copper

Thanks for everyone's advice. I had to ingage EMC support, they had to engage Microsoft. it turns out it was due to a corrupt information store. 

0 Kudos