Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 8th, 2010 11:00

Exchange Messages Failed

Server: Windows 2003 Standard 32bit R2  Exchange 2003 Version: 6.5.7638.1 (up to date with all patches/service packs)

Avamar: 5.0.101

For some reason our Exchange Messages backup is failing within 1 second of it starting (Scheduled or On Demand)

Error Code 10001

From the Activity Session Drill-Down

2010-06-08 14:05:22 avtar Error <5837>: MAPISESSION::init MAPILogonEx( profile="AvamarBackupProfile", password="" ) failed 80040111 - MAPI_E_LOGON_FAILED.
2010-06-08 14:05:22 avtar Error <5510>: Unable to login to MAPI, remaining open for avagent connections

Steps taken thus far:

-changed the schedule around (Exchange dump moved earlier to allow more time for completion)

-Removed profile from profman (c:\program files\avs\bin\profman.exe) and recreated

-Verified that the exchange account is not  hidden and is accessible

-installed Outlook and setup profile on the mail server

-removed Avamar client (including exchange client) fromt he mail server and renamed c:\program files\avs to c:\program files\avs.old

I will continue to search for answers and post if I find anything else.

Sugestions? thanks in advance

117 Posts

Hi,

How did you create the AvamarBackupProfile?

You will need to create AvamarBackupProfile by running profman while you are logged into a windows computer as user " AvamarBackupUser" if the profile was not created while logged in as AvamarBackupUser, please re-create it.

If you have the same issue afterwards, run this command via CMD while logged in as user AvamarBackupUser:

“C:\Program Files\avs\bin\avtar-exch.exe” –browse-fs --mapi --mapiprofile=AvamarBackupProfile

The above will give you some further information on why MAPI is not working correctly.

Also check the event logs for MAPI login errors.

Regards

Adam

207 Posts

Lets assume you have created a user "AvamarBackupUser" and associated a Mailbox to it.

Note: Login to Exchange Server with User "AvamarBackupUser" and then create a Profile using profman.exe and give it a name "AvamarBackupProfile"

Also if its Exchange 2007 its mandatory to install MAPI Client Library and CDO 1.2.1 from below location

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=E17E7F31-079A-43A9-BFF2-0A110307611E&displaylang=en

Regards

Amol Powar

2 Posts

June 8th, 2010 12:00

Adam,

you were partially right... I verified the user AvamarBackupUser (not MailMan). Signed onto the mail server with AvamarBackupUser, recreated the profile using profman (like I was doing before), I just needed to do it from within the AvamarBackupUser instead of mail mailman.

The reason for partially correct is that the Avamar Client (or Backup client) Service must be run as AvamarBackupUser and not as a locoal service.  Once that change was made it started working.

Amol, thanks for the information. and I will keep that in mind for the MAPI Client Library and CDO 1.2.1.   This summer is Exchange 2010 migration.. looking forward that one.

Thanks EMC Tech Support Live Chat!

No Events found!