Extremely Slow Exchange Database Plug-in Restore

Environment:

Avamar Version: 7.1.0-47

Agent: 7.1.100.370

Exchange VSS Plug-in: 7.1.100.370

DDOS: 5.4.4.2-453843

Exchange Server: 2010

Exchange Host Server OS: 2008R2

Here recently, December 2014, I restored one of our Exchange Databases via the Exchange Plug-in as flat files, not an RDB.  The restore was EXTREMELY slow, in the past it would take about 4 hours, the DB is roughly 750+ GB,  this time it took over 14 hours 41minutes at a rate of 49.46GB an hour .  I had a few other Exchange Database restores to do and one took as long as 36+ hours, the DB was still in the 750+GB range.

So now I get into the troubleshooting mode.  In the same time window I upgraded Avamar versions, 7.0.0-427 > 7.1.0-47.  We save our backups on a Data Domain, which the DDOS has been upgraded as well, 5.4.0.4-388934 > 5.4.4.2-453843.  Below are the following steps I have taken:

• Restored to another Exchange Server, I let the restore run for about four hours, I was already able to tell the restore was not going to be any quicker.
    • Same slowness
    • This shows the issue is not on a specific client
  • Restored to a server that I temporarily installed Exchange server, only to be able to perform the restore because the plug-in required Exchange to be installed, performed a restore
    • Same Slowness
    • This shows the issue is not on a server that it's main function is Exchange and with any load
  • Upgraded the Avamar Agent and Exchange Plug-in from 7.0.100.427 > 7.1.100.370, tested another restore
    • Same slowness
    • This shows the Agent and Plug-in version is not the issue
  • Restored the DB from our DR Avamar node to our DR Exchange server
    • Same slowness
    • This shows the issue is not just on our PD Avamar node, but on both.
  • Created a file large enough to give me an idea how quick it could restore, about 160+GB.  Backed up and tested a restore. I did this to see if this issue is only with the Exchange Plug-in or a different Plug-in.
    • 158.4GB restored in 1 hour and 36 minutes with a rate of 98.09GB an hour.
    • This was better, but I don't have any history of other larger files even close to the 799GB DB to tell for sure.
  • Backed up the Exchange DB to the Avamar Node instead of on the Data Domain, the next day I did a restore to the server I temporarily installed Exchange on
    • The restore performance was a LOT better.
    • 698.0GB restored in 1 hour and 36 minutes
    • This tells me the Data Domain is the issue, at least so far from the steps I have tried.

Are there other steps I would need to try that you see I haven't tried?  I looked at the DDOS release notes on the version we are running now and new versions.  I haven't seen anything mentioned about resolving and known issue.  Is there anyone that has seen this and has a possible solution?  I may have to end up opening a ticket, I just wanted to poll the masses to see if anyone else has had this issue.

February 6th, 2015 14:00

We have the DD2500 boxes, their connectivity to the Backup Network is 10GB, the Exchange server's have 1GB connectivity to the backup network.

For our Exchange environment to backup, consists of 1.4TB, takes roughly 4-6 hours...depending on how much load is, data change, etc.  Not bad really.

1.2K Posts

February 6th, 2015 14:00

I'm on DDOS 5.4.4.2, but Avamar 7.0.2-47.  We currently run our Exchange backups to the grid, but I was considering moving my Exchange DAG backups to Data Domain, due to backup performance. 

Can you tell us your DD, Avamar and Exchange connectivity?  1GbE?  10GbE?  Our DD860s are connected vi 10GbE, but Exchange servers and the grid are all 1GbE.  I don't expect a connectivity change to be the culprit, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Hopefully, someone has an idea or two to help you!

Karl

No Events found!