Highlighted
Paulo_Fessel
1 Copper

How is licensing of Avamar Virtual Edition for DD appliance as back-end?

Hi,

I'm doing a project where DD has been chosen to store and deduplicate the customer's backups because Avamar Grid wouldn't be large enough. I was thinking on using the Avamar Virtual Edition just to drive the local DD unit and synchronize it with our master Avamar Grid Server which would have another remote DD connected to it.

Is this feasible? How licensing would work on this case, for there are different Avamar VE appliance sizes. Could I use anyone of them and then add a license for the DD?

Rgds,

Paulo Fessel

0 Kudos
1 Reply

Re: How is licensing of Avamar Virtual Edition for DD appliance as back-end?

DellEMC pre-sales can help you determine what size Avamar system you would need to store the metadata for the backups you plan to store on DataDomain.  If it's possible to fit the metadata onto an Avamar Virtual Edition you can simply install and license an appropriately sized AVE. 

You should also discuss replication with your pre-sales contact to ensure that daily replication will be feasible given the amount and profile of the data and the environment.

DD licensing is completely independent of Avamar licensing but, yes, you'll need licenses for both in place.

0 Kudos