Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 11th, 2013 05:00

How to quickly troubleshoot the hardware problem of Avamar Gen4 and Gen4S node

How to quickly troubleshoot the hardware problem of Avamar Gen4 and Gen4S node

Introduction

This article focuses on troubleshooting steps and methods for hardware problem of Avamar 4 and 4S node. It will help users timely to check the Avamar node. And also help you to understand the basic of Avamar hardware.

Detailed Information

Due to the hardware of Avamar Gen4 and Gen4S is so different, the commands of them also have many differences. So in the process of troubleshooting, the command used is not the same.

1.     First, let’s us look at the difference of the appearance of Avamar Gen4 and Gen4S.

The front of Avamar Gen4 basic model as following picture:

The front of Gen4.gif

The back of Gen4 basic model as following picture:

untitled_2.bmp

The front of Avamar Gen4S basic model as following picture:

untitled_3.bmp

The back of Avamar Gen4S basic model as following picture:

untitled_4.bmp

Note: Avamar Gen4 and Gen4S all have few different hardware models. Please refer the product manual of the Avamar storage that you have purchased.

Detailed models comparison table:

untitled_5.bmp

2.     Hardware problem troubleshooting steps

If you see any hardware alert on the logs, you can use the following table command to do a quick check.

Command reference table:

Gen 4

Gen   4S

Check electric fan problem

omreport chassis fans

ipmitool sdr type fan

Check virtual disk problem

omreport storage vdisk

avsysreport vdisk

Check disk controller problem

omreport storage controller

avsysreport controller

Check system log

omreport system esmlog

ipmitool sel info

omreport system esmlog

Totally check hardware problem

omreport chassis

avsysreport chassis

Check power supply problem

omreport chassis pwrsupplies

avsysreport powersupplies

Temperature check

omreport chassis temps

avsysreport temperatureprobe

Memory check

omreport chassis memory

avsysreport memorymodules

Hardware log collection

dset_script

sysinfo -ni

Note:

If you are using an Avamar single node, you can connect directly to the Utility node through SSH, and then run the commands located in the table above.

If you are using an Avamar multi-node connect to the Utility node through SSH. Login to connect the utility node and storage nodes. Then use the command #mapall --noerror "" to check the hardware problem.

For example:

#su – admin

#ssh-agent bash

#ssh-add ~/.ssh/dpnid

#mapall --noerror “”

You can refer to the table above for the , except for "hardware log collection".

3.     Summary

Avamar is a very powerful backup software that shoulders the important data preservation function within an IT environment. Most of the commands listed in the table above be used for Avamar daily maintenance. It is strongly recommended to save this information for reference.

Author: Jason Chen

iEMC APJ

Please click here for for all contents shared by us.

December 23rd, 2013 23:00

Hi Team,

Thank you for "Detailed models comparison table". However I would like to know the number of Disk Drives, Disk Drive Capacity and RAID Configuration.

As per my understanding

M2400 (7.8TB) –              12 x 2TB (RAID1)

M1200 (3.9TB) –              6 x 2TB (RAID1)

M600 (2TB)        –              6 x1TB (RAID1)

S2400 (7.8TB)   -              8 x 2TB (RAID 6)

Please correct me, If I am wrong.

Thanks & Regards,

Raghuram Bhat G

308 Posts

December 24th, 2013 02:00

Hi Raghuram, thanks for your reply. We checked the information and found that it is only available to EMC internal and partners. So we are not able to post it out here. Sorry for that.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

December 24th, 2013 02:00

Hi

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

I am working as a Solution Provider (EMC Partner) and may i request you to please share the link. I do have partner access to Powerlink as well as EMC Support Pages.

215 Posts

December 24th, 2013 06:00

1 Attachment

308 Posts

December 25th, 2013 02:00

December 25th, 2013 20:00

Hi Adam Kirkpatrick

I am looking for Gen 4S and NOT Gen 4 Hardware

December 25th, 2013 21:00

Hi Team,

The KB Article link which you provided is unavailable. PFA.. Please verify the same.

EMC_KB.jpg

Requesting you to please share the required information in the text format atleast!

308 Posts

December 25th, 2013 21:00

Please search "Location of the physical disk and which RAID group it belongs to on the Avamar node" in support.emc.com. The first search result is link to this KB article.

If you can't open the KB, that means your account permission is not high enough. We couldn't post content here directly since it is only available to partners.

Thanks for your understanding.

215 Posts

December 26th, 2013 05:00

If you are only interested in Gen4S details then your initial question should be revised.

Here’s the details for the Gen4S RAID setup is which is identical to Gen4 and they are fully compatible with one another in terms of mixing them within a GRID.

I don’t believe there is any secret as to what the RAID setup is because this can be easily determined by anyone who has access to these nodes and it is only reasonable

a user would be interested in knowing this info as well. I suspect it is not present in customer facing documentation because Avamar H/W is sold as a an appliance therefore

no need for you to manipulate the H/W in any way.

1 Attachment

No Events found!