Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 23rd, 2016 03:00

Incorrect OS showing in Avamar GUI

Good morning,

We are installing Avamar 7.3, integrated with DD and vCenter.

So far so good.

When adding new clients from vCenter to backup I have noticed that all the RHEL7 clients are showing in the GUI as RHEL6 and all Windows 2012 showing as Windows 8??!!! I see it when trying to add the clients in the "Backup and Restore" window and also once the clients are backing up in the "activity" window!!

Has anyone else experienced this? I did a search on the knowledgebase but got no entries/hits. Should we be concerned about this? The full version of Avamar is 7.3.0-226.

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Neil

1.2K Posts

August 23rd, 2016 06:00

Avamar maintains a table with the OS versions.  It does not pull this information in realtime (i.e., it doesn't use 'uname' or /etc/issue to determine OS).  For VMs, it shows our Win 2012 servers as 'windows8server64Guest'.

This is confusing, but expected behavior.

Let us know if that helps!

Karl

32 Posts

August 23rd, 2016 08:00

Thanks for replying Karl,

Is there anyway of editing that table at all? Whilst not only confusing I just do not think my customers are going to accept that it is expected behaviour!

I also think Avamar should be able to report back correctly as it does not instil confidence from the customers perspective.

Again, thanks for taking the time to reply - that fact that it is not something I have failed to do etc is some reassuring at least.

Neil

1.2K Posts

August 23rd, 2016 11:00

That's a very good question!  The response from Support was to open an RPE - a Request for Product Enhancement.  This is a trackable request to have EMC Engineering review the feasibility of changing the product (Avamar) to do so.  I suggest doing the same and opening an RPE - it's the only way I've been able to get EMC to make changes to the product.  Aside from EMC (eventually) changing how Avamar collects this data, I don't know of any way to modify it (you can always open a ticket with Support and see if they have a workaround).

In the meantime, you've got a few other options.  First, if you're using the default Avamar report, you can modify it to remove the OS field.  That's pretty simple to do.  Otherwise, if you use EMC Data Protection Advisor for reporting, you can do the same, and replace it with the Plugin Name instead.

2016-08-23 14_23_34-Data Protection Advisor.png

Let us know if that helps!

Karl

No Events found!