Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 30th, 2010 10:00

Is Avamar compatible with SQL Server 2008? Problems restoring Avamar SQL backup files via Avamar Agent

I am reviewing the documentation from a post that explaines the restoration process of a SQL user databse but it states that AVAMAR is not compatible with SQL2005??? and a local backup .bak file needs to be made using a SQL Maintenance plan. Is this true??? I am currently making local backups via SQL  and Avamar backs up location of the .Mdf and .Ldf files via the SQL plugin. Am I able to restore the .Ldf and .Mdf files via the SQL plugin in Avamar or for that matter the dedupe backups???  We are running SQL2008. I am hoping that what I am reading is a really OLD document. If there is anyone out there that wouldnt mind sending me any tips/tricks or a copy of their process for restoring database from the Avamar agent it would be greatly appreciated!!!! Below is what is in the .pdf that I was referring to.

SQL Server 2005 Use flat file database backups (for system and

user databases) to recover SQL Server 2005

data. The Avamar SQL agent does not support

SQL Server 2005. Ensure .BAK files from the

maintenance plan are included in daily Avamar

backups.

1 Attachment

50 Posts

September 30th, 2010 16:00

SQL 2008 is supported in the later versions of AVAMAR. (v5)

Perhaps let us know what your avamar server version is running on.

It is not necessary to updrage the avamar server version to 5 but at least upgrade the client version to version 5 that will support SQL 2008.

Dependent on what version of Avamar server and client agents you are running, you will need to contact EMC support for the version upgrades.

546 Posts

October 1st, 2010 02:00

Hi AvNewbie - since your question is about a production environment, you'll get better answers in the support forums...stand by and I'll get this thread moved for you. -Gina

No Events found!