Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

2 Posts

April 24th, 2018 13:00

Is it possible to upgrade Avamar clients to 7.5.1 prior to upgrading the server to get a head start?

We are upgrading our Avamar server to 7.5.1 and would like to inquire about upgrading the client code before the server actually is upgraded.  Will this work?  Can we upgrade clients before the server to save time after the upgrade?  How about proxy servers?  Can they be a higher code level than the actual server?

April 26th, 2018 06:00

Yes, this is possible, providing that the Avamar client release is compatible with the Avamar server version.

Check the compatibility guide  and select the report for Server/Client/Replication Compatibility

You can then refer to the following document

https://support.emc.com/docu8622_Avamar-Client-Only-System-Upgrades-Technical-Note.pdf?language=en_US

Further information and links to the client download packages themselves are available in KB 336028 - FTP Links to the latest client AVP packages

This is intended to be a customer administration activity so the above links should all be reachable and the procedure is quite straightforward.

498 Posts

April 27th, 2018 15:00

I always upgrade the servers first

wait a week to see if I have any issues with the master on the new version

then work with Client Manger to push the upgrades out to the clients

or the few that need to be manually upgraded.

you can run a lower version client on a higher version master no problem.

but you could have issues with a higher client on a lower master

2K Posts

April 30th, 2018 08:00

you could have issues with a higher client on a lower master

As long as the server has had its client catalog updated and the client and server are within +/- 2 releases, there shouldn't be any issue with running different versions on client and server. In fact, we often have customers upgrade the client package if they would like to use a feature that's available in a newer client release without having to upgrade their server (e.g. if they have older clients that would no longer be supported with a newer server version).

498 Posts

May 8th, 2018 13:00

but I do have issues.

like today I have a 7.2 master, and I am trying to do a restore to a client that already has the 7.4 upgrade.

and the restore will not work, because it is not picking up the restore plug in type.  do I cannot restore it.

I will have to remove the 7.4 reinstall the 7.2 do the restore

2K Posts

May 8th, 2018 14:00

The package I linked to only updates the plugin catalog so the server will recognize newer client versions. There is also a "client downloads" package that can be used to update the plugin catalog and the client installers on the downloads page. You only need one or the other.

2K Posts

May 8th, 2018 14:00

Make sure the 7.4 client catalog is installed on your 7.2 server:

https://download.emc.com/downloads/DL83077_Avamar_7.4_for_Client_Plugin_Catalog_Upgrades.avp?source=OLS

We have hundreds of customers using newer clients with older servers without issue.

498 Posts

May 8th, 2018 15:00

something I never knew,  and was not even mentioned to the guy above who opened this ticket.

that if you upgrade the client you need to at least install this so backups/restores work.

and this did work for me,  I was able to install it on the old 7.2 and do a restore to a client with 7.4 installed.

thank you for the info.

cgrone:  sorry that I seemed to have highjack your conversation

1 Message

June 27th, 2018 02:00

This is a useful discussion, but have a question that is related.

Would upgrading the catalog remove support for older clients, or simply add newer clients to the client catalog. The reason I ask is I want to upgrade the catalog to 7.5.1 but still have clients running 7.2 and so over the +/- 2 version rule.

July 3rd, 2018 23:00

It works fine. I believe +/- 2 rule is the recommended configuration by EMC.

If you face any issue where server version and client version is more than +/-2, I doubt if EMC will help.

So yeah you can do it but check with EMC if support will be provided for such configuration.

2K Posts

July 10th, 2018 20:00

Updating the client catalog adds entries for newer clients. It does NOT remove catalog entries for older clients.

The client downloads package will remove older client releases from the downloads page and replace them with the newer packages but will NOT remove these older clients from the client catalog.

We don't guarantee compatibility beyond the general +/- 2 rule except as noted in the Compatibility Matrix. The client may still work but the combination of server and client versions likely hasn't been tested so it's hard to predict if anything would go wrong.

However, please note that updating the client catalog or client downloads package does NOT affect the +/- 2 guideline because the client catalog is (mostly) independent of the server software version and it's the client / server compatibility that matters. For example, if you installed the 7.5.1 client package on a 7.4.0 server, your 7.2 clients would continue to be supported.

No Events found!