Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

AU

June 6th, 2014 09:00

Issues using GLR for vmguests

I keep having issues when trying to restore using GLR for VMware guests.  If I accidently use the wrong username/password, the backup will fail obviously but then when I try to run the restore again I always get an error along the lines of "you must use the previous credentials to perform the restore".  The restore obviously is not going to work because I accidently used the wrong username/password combo.  How can I get around this?  The only way I can right now is wait till the next day and I can try again, my guess is after the maintenance schedule runs?

355 Posts

June 9th, 2014 02:00

Hello,

I would suggest to open a service request with EMC support.

Regards,

Pawan

June 10th, 2014 14:00

First, I'm assuming you mean File level Recovery (FLR), since GLR is not a term used with vmWare backups.

When the Avamar Admin GUI starts an FLR session, it dedicates a proxy session to capture the vm credentials, and will not change that until the end of the proxy session.

So - the way to change vm credentials is to close / logout from the Avamar Admin GUI, then log back in.

Alternatively, open  a new Avamar admin GUI  instance.

July 16th, 2014 14:00

I was referring to the Granular Restore option for VMware guests from within Avamar.

Here is an example I am running into.  I just tried to restore a folder from a Linux VMware guest machine.  Once I started the job it ran for about 45 minutes and had not done anything.  I looked at the log and found this error in red 'avvmwfile Error <0000>:'  a few lines above this error in the log was this warning: avvmwfile Warning <6788>: Found unknown section 'browse-from-catalog' in workorder, ignoring'  So I canceled the job.  Tried to run the restore again by browsing to the guest, clicking on the Granular Restore option, and eventually got a pop up that says 'Failed to generate session handle'.  I assume when I use the Granular Restore option that Avamar must index the data from the vmdk's and populates the restore listing, when I close out and try to use the Granular Restore again there is some sort of cache left behind and causes the error?  Similar with my first post, the next day I would be able to try the restore again and not receive the pop up error.

I have already done what was suggested, as in closing out of the Avamar GUI and getting back in to get past the credential issue and I still receive that error until the next day after the garbage collection runs.

No Events found!