Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 28th, 2017 02:00

Latest stable version, compatibility and upgrade path

Hello.

We currently have Avamar 7.1.2-21 and we are planning to upgrade. In order to prepare for the upgrade, we need to first choose a version, assess any changes and/or limitations, as well as impact of the newer version, and then plan the upgrade action regarding the upgrade path.

So, what is the latest stable version? Are there any precedences as an upgrade path, regarding the present version? What are the more expressive differences and limitations noticed by customers?

Is there a compatibility comparison table between versions, to see more easily what are the new functionalities/compatibilities as well as the end of support of any technology that may cause impact?

Thank you.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

April 28th, 2017 15:00

We just upgraded from 7.2.1 to 7.4.1, mainly because we are getting ready to upgrade to vSphere 6.5.  Your best bet is to look at 7.x release notes.

CompGuideApp

2K Posts

April 28th, 2017 15:00

Agreed. Carefully check the compatibility guide as well, especially if you're using Data Domain integration.

48 Posts

May 4th, 2017 03:00

Thank you.

About the compatibility guide, I couldn't find it on the downloads. Where could I find it?

And also, I don't expect to have incompatibility issues, so my concern is more about the eventual bugs or issues on the most recent releases.

So my question is more to understand, what is the latest, most stable release version?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

May 6th, 2017 05:00

did you follow the link i provided in my reply.  Bugs etc will be documented in the release notes.

48 Posts

May 8th, 2017 07:00

Hi.

Yes, I did and was very enlightened with it. I didn't noticed right away that it is the Compatibility Guide. Thank you.

Version 7.4.1 is what we need.

But I was also hoping that someone could say something about stability and reliability of the latest version, if it is very stable and we should proceed, or if it is better to wait a while for a more stable sub-version to be released.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

May 8th, 2017 08:00

I upgraded to 7.4.1 last week. So far so good, no issues with VMware backup (did have to rebuild my proxies, could not get upgrades to work). No issues with physical backups either (RHEL 5, 6, 7 and Win2k8, Win2k12).  I did have to disable token based authentication because it was causing issues on a couple of my systems that have multiple network interfaces into different (public and private) networks.

48 Posts

May 18th, 2017 07:00

Hello.

I've checked the upgrade path and requirements. Before opening an SR for the upgrade, I'll have to upgrade the clients version from my side.

As stated, my version is 7.1.2 (clients too) and according to the manual I have to upgrade the clients to 7.2.

I have doubts on this. Is 7.2 the minimal version and I may upgrade to the 7.4 already? Or must it be 7.2?

Thank you.

2K Posts

May 24th, 2017 06:00

Avamar compatibility is generally +/- two releases, so Avamar 7.2 clients are the oldest clients that can back up to a 7.4 server.

48 Posts

May 24th, 2017 07:00

Hello Ian.

Thank for the answer.

But what I'm asking is, can I install 7.4 clients instead of 7.2?

I presume I cannot, given the two releases "rule". If I do that, clients will stop working until server is effectively upgraded, since server is presently version 7.1.

2K Posts

May 24th, 2017 08:00

No matter how you approach this, you'll end up having to upgrade something twice - the 7.4 clients aren't compatible with the 7.1 server.

You could upgrade the clients to 7.2 so they continue to work with the 7.4 server, but you'd have to upgrade the clients again to get them to 7.4.

Alternatively, you could upgrade the server to 7.2 or 7.3, install the 7.4 client package, upgrade the clients to get them to 7.4, then upgrade the server to 7.4.

Neither option is ideal.

May 25th, 2017 01:00

We have recently upgraded to Avamar 7.2 from 7.1. Now we are upgrading all the proxies to version 7.4 which is compatible with Avamar 7.2. We need the proxies at 7.4 because we are upgrading Vsphere to 6.5.

Regards,

Pawan

48 Posts

May 25th, 2017 03:00

That's what I feared.

Ok, now to proceed with the clients upgrade, I first have to install the client package on the Avamar server, is this correct? Only then download the agent binaries and install on the client?

2K Posts

May 25th, 2017 06:00

That's correct - if the clients will be a higher version than the server, you will need to install either the client plug-in catalog for the version you want to install (which only updates the plug-in catalog) or the client downloads update package (which updates the plug-in catalog and also updates the installer packages on the downloads page).

The plug-in catalog update is required because the Avamar server disables clients that report a version it doesn't recognize.

48 Posts

May 25th, 2017 09:00

Thank you both.

Pawan reminded me about the vmware proxy. I'll upgrade the proxies aside with the clients, to same version.

I guess the 7.2 proxies will work with 7.1 Avamar server.

About the package, I was finally able to install the Client Downloads package successfully (had errors, opened a case, solved).

I'll now proceed with the clients and proxy upgrades.

Thank you!

May 30th, 2017 05:00

Hi,

Yes, Avamar proxy 7.2 works fine with Avamar server 7.1.

If you have DD integrated with Avamar, please check your current DDOS is compatible with Avamar 7.2.

Regards,

Pawan

No Events found!