Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

January 24th, 2018 14:00

Linux VM FLR - options for not supplying credentials?

So, as far as I know, Avamar still requires credentials to be supplied for file level restores from VM image backups.

However, the customer I am working with has a policy of disabling remote root access for their Linux systems.

So - aside from getting them to change their policy, are there any "creative" options for this?

One thought I had was to use instant access to temporarily make the VM file data accessible and copy it over.

The other thought was of course to temporarily restore the VM data to some staging location that didn't have root access restricted and copy it from there.

But is there any way to "automate" the authentication needed to log into the target VM using the regular Avamar FLR process?

(not considering any MCCLI solution because it would also require providing the credentials, and it would also be pretty cumbersome for restoring mutliple files)

Also - can someone remind me what our reasoning is behind asking for the credentials for the FLR? Keeping in mind that this customer thinks that "if we can back it up without credentials, why can't we restore files?". (I'm pretty sure I know why, but I can't seem to make them understand)

All comments/feedback appreciated - thanks.

7 Posts

January 25th, 2018 04:00

I have this exact option and is very annoying there is not fix for this to be done with sudo access.

All I do at the moment is manual and mount the discs on the proxy from the backup and restore window and scp directly from the proxy to the server as they are mounted under /tmp

No Events found!