Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

1 Rookie

• 

81 Posts

April 22nd, 2019 18:00

Migrate Networker to Avamar

Hi Guys, We are planning to change our backup software from EMC Networker to Avamar. In Networker, we have some clients with retention of 7 years and everything is backup to tape. My question is, is there any way we can migrate all old data in tape to the new Avamar?

2K Posts

April 23rd, 2019 07:00

While it may be technically possible to use ADMe for this, any sort of large scale conversion between media is likely going to take far too long to be practical. If you're only migrating yearlies or monthlies, that might be possible but I don't think it would be practical to migrate daily backups with 7 year retention.

1 Rookie

• 

81 Posts

April 23rd, 2019 18:00

We are only migrating yearly backup while monthly and daily we will keep in old networker until it expired. Each tape (5 alltogether) only have around 300GB of data.

2K Posts

April 24th, 2019 05:00

That's a relatively small amount of data so it may be possible to use ADMe for this. I've brought this thread to the attention of one of my colleagues who's "Mr. ADMe" and asked him to give some input.

215 Posts

April 24th, 2019 07:00

Unfortunately the requirement here is for the opposite of what ADMe provides that being migrating Avamar BU's to tape so ADMe is not suitable here.

However, I believe you could manually emulate a similar approach to how ADMe performs migrations and given the data size and number of BU's involved here is small it wouldn't take long to accomplish.

1. Provide a staging disk area on a dedicated drive letter large enough to handle one or all BU's as one migration. If different retention's are needed for each migration once in Avamar,  then migrate just one BU from Networker at a time. The staging disk can be on a VM or any existing server to which you will then perform a directed recovery from tape to it.

2. A manually created staging path should be established on the staging drive letter similar to the example below used to differentiate each BU being migrated and its original BU date in Networker in 3rd folder.

F:\NWK\ \ \

Note: you may need to recover from NWK on a per drive letter basis as I'm not sure how NWK distinguishes between drive letters when more than one is being recovered at a time to a common path

3. Once data is staged, use Avamar GUI to perform a simple interactive FS BU from the staging server & path used. You can assign the required retention value as part of the new Avamar BU or you can assign it after the BU to Avamar is completed.

1 Rookie

• 

81 Posts

April 29th, 2019 19:00

Thank you sir! This is really helpful. I will consider this as part of our migration plan and hopefully it works. Thanks for all the replies, really appreciate it.
No Events found!