Highlighted
DarthHerm1
6 Indium

Moving client from backup group to another cause in increase in consumption?

My question is would moving a client server from one backup group to another backup group cause an increase in the client server's total GB protection?

I went from Commvault to Avamar last fall and originally had all my client file servers in the same data set and backup group. I was getting completed with errors initially I needed to rework the existing data set. 3 servers had their data on a separate drive letters and 2 servers had different folders to target. A few days in I ended up creating 4-5 additional dataset and backup groups for those same servers.

Last week when running a Bytes Protected Per Client Report I noticed the Total GiB protection for one server to be 1904.5920. I thought that was odd since that server isn't that big. Last night's backup of this server was only 727.2 GiB and looking at the past history the average change rate has been 635 MiB with a max one day of 11 GiB and as small as 694 KiB. While talking to support yesterday it hit me, would moving a client server from one backup group to another cause the higher Total GiB protection I am seeing and is it consuming that space on the data domain as a result.

This server has been a part of 3 different backup groups since I went to Avamar last fall. Only two backups remain for this file server when it was part of different backup groups. The third backup group this server is the only member of.

10/15/2016 backup 610,707,137,451 bytes -  Backup Group 1 – 1st backup 1 year retention

11/1/2016 backup 653,448,719,077 bytes – Backup Group 2 – Monthly retention set for 1 year

5/18/2017 backup 780,884,270,681 bytes – Backup Group 3 (final one) – Last night's backup of the server. Daily retention for a month.

I added these bytes from all three dates and got a total of 2,045,040,127,209 bytes which converted to GiB I got 1904.59 GiB. The numbers appear to match but I don't know if it's a coincidence or indeed when moving a client server from one backup group to another it increased the data consumption.

I have support looking into it to see if it is or not but wanted to reach out because where I am at with capacity on my data domain. For a couple months Commvault and Avamar were running (at different times) on the servers.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
8 Krypton

Re: Moving client from backup group to another cause in increase in consumption?

Bytes protected was originally designed to be a licensing mechanism. It's a rolling sum of the largest savesets for a client over the last (I believe) 30 days. If you move a client from one group to another, backups for both of those groups will be counted in the bytes protected value until the backups from when the client was in any previous groups roll out of the window.

The bytes protected value does not affect back-end (i.e. post-dedupe) capacity. If you're trying to find which clients are consuming your back-end capacity, I'd recommend you take a look at the DPN Summary report. The back-end size of the backups for a client will be (approximately) size of initial + (daily new bytes * retention days). This won't be 100% accurate since it doesn't account for de-duplication between clients but it's good for back of the envelope estimates.

8 Krypton

Re: Moving client from backup group to another cause in increase in consumption?

For further reading on the 'bytes protected' value refer to

• KB 335924 - Understanding the "bytes protected" (v5 & v6) and the "Data protected" (v7.0) values in the Avamar Administrator 

The  'capacity.sh' script provides a alternative interface that can achieve a similar result to reviewing the DPN Summary report  discussed byIan Anderson

Using the script, filter by client and capture the amount of data added during the initial backup by setting a suitably large 'days' flag (eg. 9999).   You can re-run the command with the 'start' and 'end' flags so that the report covers backups stored during the span of the client's retention.  More details on how to use the script are in the following article

• KB 336542 - How to use capacity.sh script to analyse daily data change on the Avamar system