Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 30th, 2014 06:00

Process to restart a failed backup

We are replacing our existing NetBackup and Veeam environments with Avamar. I am wondering what process people use for restarting failed backups where there are multiple servers in one policy and only one server fails. You can't really restart the policy for a couple of reasons:

1. The backup will become an on-demand backup so the retention rules don't get applied.

2. I don't want to redo backups for servers that processed correctly.

Thanks.

18 Posts

January 30th, 2014 10:00

In the Avamar GUI, you can backup a single host pretty easily.

In the Policy pane, there are two "tabs" in the Policy Management area: Groups and Clients. Click the Clients tab.

Browse to your client, select it, and either right click and choose "Back Up Client Now" or from the Actions menu, make the same selection. You'll be presented with a dialog asking what Group properties you wish to use, and you can select from all groups that the client is a member of. Generally, a client will only be a member of two groups. "Default Group" and the group that the client is a specific member of. Choose the specific group, and all of that groups properties will be inherited for that OnDemand backup.

498 Posts

January 31st, 2014 10:00

I went through the same thing - miss the right-click re-run.

but if you go to the client in the Policy screen and say backup now - there is a pull down (never select the default)  choose the policy group you want it to run under (should only be one other selection).

This will then have the ondemand backup run with the correct dataset (to include your excludes/includes.....) and it will run with the correct retention.

94 Posts

February 4th, 2014 11:00

Thanks for the help. This looks like it will do exactly what I want.

No Events found!