Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 18th, 2015 01:00

Putty SSH session times out with Avamar 7.1

Hi,

I get logged out from the Putty session after approx. 15 mins of inactivity all the time. I then edited the file "/etc/ssh/sshd_config" and changed the following parameters to the value below and restarted the ssh daemon:

TCPKeepAlive yes

ClientAliveInterval 30

ClientAliveCountMax 99999

But still, the session times out all the time.

Where else can I configure this that the ssh session do not time out anymore?

Thanks and regards,

Ludwig

40 Posts

February 18th, 2015 02:00

Ludwig.

Please follow this KB to increase ssh timeout:

https://support.emc.com/kb/193391

Rgds

15 Posts

February 18th, 2015 02:00

Thanks, Arturo for the KB! But, after changing the value in the /etc/profile do I need to restart a service for the changes to take effect?

40 Posts

February 18th, 2015 03:00

Indeed, you need to restart SSHD after changing the setting: 

service sshd restart

Rgds

15 Posts

February 18th, 2015 04:00

Thanks!

498 Posts

February 18th, 2015 14:00

yeah in 7.1 the documents say that they set it to have a time out (where before it did not)  they also do not allow you to log in directly as root either.

15 Posts

February 18th, 2015 22:00

You can edit the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file to allow root user login again by setting the parameter like this;

PermitRootLogin yes

Then restart sshd daemon "service sshd restart"

2K Posts

February 19th, 2015 05:00

I would not recommend permitting remote root. You can just as easily log in as admin and use su - root to switch to the root account if needed and it is far more secure. In fact, I would discourage people from using the root account for anything unless it's strictly required.

I know the Avamar Administration course was training people to log in as root for a long time but this was changed at my request. The number of tasks that require root access to the Avamar system can be counted on one hand.

15 Posts

February 19th, 2015 06:00

Ian,

I would never do it on customer installations and would never recommend it to customers. Just for my personal lab environment I made these changes for my convenience.

Regards, Ludwig

2K Posts

February 19th, 2015 06:00

Thank you for clarifying.

No Events found!