Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 27th, 2011 07:00

Question on Custom Replication schedul

HI All --

I have a replication customization question for anyone who might be able to help.

We are currently running two stand-alone Avamar 6.0 nodes that replicate to each other across a 10Mbps WAN link.  The replication window is nightly for about 10 hours.  Normally, this is more than sufficient for replicating our daily backup.

However, once a week, on Saturdays, we backup our main VMware cluster (about 60 VMs).  After this backup, the replication takes 2-3 days to catch-up (Sunday through Tuesday) following the normal replication window. 

To help with this, I have the option of using our entire WAN link for 20 hours (24 minus the maintenace window) on the weekends. So I would like to setup a second replication window that runs Saturdays and Sundays from 9am to 5am.  I checked PowerLink and found this solution:  https://solutions.emc.com/emcsolutionview.asp?id=esg97074

I've followed this to the letter a few times, but the replication never starts.

Does anyone know what I should check to see if crontab is picking up the new command?  Any suggestions on what logs I can check (other than replicate.log)? 

Thanks!

20 Posts

September 27th, 2011 08:00

Hi,

The document you used is for running a replication for a client every two hours. However there is no mention of multiple replications. At this point, it is not recommended to run multiple replication and there is no direct way of doing it. There are some internal EMC documents to do this though. However, these steps must be performed by EMC professionals.

Thanks,

Anser Ahmad Arif

3 Posts

September 27th, 2011 07:00

For reference, here are the files I've modified:

/etc/dpn_crontab

# <<< BEGIN AVAMAR ADMINISTRATOR MANAGED ENTRIES -- DO NOT MANUALLY MODIFY >>>
0 20 * * * /usr/local/avamar/bin/cron_env_wrapper /usr/local/avamar/lib/mcs_ssh_add repl_cron
# <<< END AVAMAR ADMINISTRATOR MANAGED ENTRIES >>>

0 9 * * 6-7 /usr/local/avamar/bin/cron_env_wrapper /usr/local/avamar/bin/weekend_repl_cron_run

/bin/weekend_repl_cron_run

#!/bin/bash

echo 'weekend_repl_cron_run starting:'
date
ssh-add ~dpn/.ssh/dpnid
cd ~dpn

nohup replicate --flagfile=/usr/local/avamar/etc/repl_cron.cfg --timeout=61200 --logfile=orlcdb01_repl_logfile.log >> orlcdb01_repl_logfile.log

echo 'weekend_repl_cron_run ending:'
date

September 28th, 2011 06:00

I agree with Anser - extending the replication functionality by scripting additional jobs would require an EMC Professional Services engagement.  It would likely also require signoff from the engineering team and a support notification in order that the customisation be taken into consideration during any support intervention or upgrade work.

3 Posts

October 4th, 2011 10:00

Thanks for the input!

No Events found!