Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 19th, 2015 09:00

Replace GEN4 node with GEN4S

Hello,

I have some older Gen4 nodes that I would like to replace. Is there a way I can add a GEN4s to the Avamar system and move the data from one node to another? After the data has moved, decommission the older Gen4.

Any thoughts or ideas appreciated.

T

6 Posts

@ian, we are tight on space and power so we may not be able to stand up enough nodes to replicate our grid. Roughly how long will a rebuilt take for each node?

@jeff, if we were to go down the single replacement path, what would be needed to take the node from 4 to 4s as you mentioned above?

The system is also utilized most of the day so timing is critical

Thanks,

T

133 Posts

Replacing nodes with Gen 4S will not give you any more space, and will not give you any benefit, only Risk.

As I mentioned before, even if you swap out all of your nodes with Gen 4S your server will still have the personality of a Gen 4 Grid. The ONLY way is to stand up a new Gen 4S Grid and Root-to-Root.

If you are looking for new capacity as long as you are not at a 1x16 grid, you can add Gen4S nodes as new nodes, but you still have a Gen 4 Grid.

133 Posts

If your purpose is to upgrade your hardware, this would not accomplish much.

If a Gen 4 node dies, it is replaced with a Gen 4S node, but your server remains at Gen 4, even if you swap out all nodes.

You may gain a little in CPU power, but not much that would be noticeable.

If your intent is to actually Migrate your server to a proper Gen 4S platform, the best method is to Stand up a new Gen 4S Grid, and then perform a Root-to-Root Migration.

2K Posts

Rebuilding your nodes one by one onto Gen4S hardware would do what you're asking but it would be quite time and labour intensive. It would also introduce a fair amount of risk during the procedure -- if a second node goes offline during a rebuild, you have no choice but to roll back.

What is the reason you want to replace your hardware piecemeal like this? It would be faster, easier and less risky to migrate to a brand new Gen4S system using the usual root-to-root procedure.

No Events found!