Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 8th, 2013 05:00

Replication of VM image-level backup to Data Domain through Avamar

Hello,

I have 2 sites, each with it's own Avamar grid (6.1), each with an integrated Data Domain unit.  At site #1 I take a image-level backup of a vmware virtual machine every day, using DDBoost to store it on the integrated Data Domain.  At night the image-level backup of that virtual machine is replicated from the Data Domain unit at site #1, to the Data Domain unit at site #2.  This is all controlled through Avamar.

Every night when the image-level backup of that virtual machine is replicated, Avamar Administrator job logs show that the replication has 100% new bytes.  Is this normal, and does it mean it's replicating the entire backup image every time?

For comparison, using the same scenario, I backup a SQL database at site #1, using DDBoost to store it on the Data Domain.  When that gets replicated to site #2, there is only a small percentage of new bytes.  So I know that in this case at least, only new bytes are being replicated.

Thanks for any insight you can provide!

2K Posts

August 8th, 2013 06:00

This is a reporting issue with Avamar / DDR replication. The system is not actually sending all the data. I've never heard of DDR integrated replication reporting anything other than 100% new bytes, to be honest. Are you sure the SQL database is being sent to the DDR, not the ADS?

22 Posts

Thanks for the response ianderson.  I'm glad to hear that only new data is being replicated.  To answer your question, I'm positive the SQL backups are being sent to the DDR.  Possible a hotfix/patch addressed this?

Slightly off-topic, but I assume this is also a reporting issue:

When I backup a client to both ADS (for the file system) and DDR (for SQL databases) on grid #1, I can confirm that both data sets get replicated to grid #2.  I can confirm this by doing a restore from the replicated data on grid #2.  However Avamar administrator on both grids only report that the DDR data got replicated.  There is no log of the ADS data being replicated.

2K Posts

I'm not aware of any such hotfix. Strange. If it's working, I'm not going to argue!

When you say that the grids only report that the DDR data was replicated, is this in the activity monitor or somewhere else? Can you post (anonymized) screenshots?

No Events found!