Highlighted
BROGGATZ
1 Nickel

Retention tags - To be or not to be (as in corrected)

Not certain of everyone else's experience, but of the several hundred backups taken daily, I often experience a failure, which causes my operations group to launch on-demand backups for individual clients. When those on-demand backups complete, they are marked with a retention tag of N. That in itself isn't a huge problem I understand...just right click the backup and change retention tag, correct? But what if this is done to an entire group policy with hundreds of client backups?

We USED to be able to modify this via command line, but as I understand, EMC no longer wants us to use the proxycp.jar to modify/expire or fix retention. Has anyone found a suitable workaround for this?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

Re: Retention tags - To be or not to be (as in corrected)

BROGGATZ

Good day!!

*What is the version of avamar server?

*Are there any underscores in group or in schedule name?

Regards

Shridhar Kulkarni

0 Kudos
BROGGATZ
1 Nickel

Version 7.0.2-43_HF197922_1

Group Policy Name  - 6PM Backup

Client Policy Name -  DZGWHO102T1

Schedule Name - 6 PM

We normally retry backups through the Clients tab under policy (Right-click, Back up client now, select proper group (for group properties). I have found if using advanced properties for retention, it does not follow those properties but instead what is set up for basic - I have submitted this as a bug with the workaround being set the basic to your daily retention value, then reset it to override the basic value.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

It's okay to use proxycp to update the retention tags and retention settings on the understanding that this is done at your own risk. While proxycp is a very powerful and effective tool, it is a support tool not intended for direct customer use. It's possible to do a lot of damage with proxycp, especially if you're modifying retention.

0 Kudos
BROGGATZ
1 Nickel

It does not appear to work with --before and --after  arguments properly...possibly related to mccli no longer working with those arguments anymore? At least that's what I've found.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Which option in proxycp are you referring to ? Could you also let me know the version of proxycp.

0 Kudos
BROGGATZ
1 Nickel

I need to correct myself...it was the modify-snapups command that was not working with  --before and --after.

I was specifically informed NOT to use proxycp.jar to fix retention (by Avamar support) as it would cause data loss. So is the real problem that it's a powerful command that causes data loss when used carelessly? That seems more likely to me, but that's NOT the situation as I was informed.

The date on proxcycp.jar is 9-29-2014. Not certain what version that might indicate.

So against warning otherwise ... I ran the following command against an Ad-hoc backup

java -jar proxycp.jar --modifybackups --setretentiontag D --setexpirydate 2015-04-05 --domain /xxxxx/VirtualMachines/PHASE9 --after 2015-03-31 --before 2015-04-01

Seems to run fine...hmmmm. Maybe support was wrong?

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Thanks for the update. Yes, there are several option is proxycp that can be dangerous if not used with proper care. Always download the new version from FTP as it gets updated regularly with bug fixes and new features, Feel free to contact me if you encounter any problem.

0 Kudos