Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 31st, 2010 06:00

Show system tray icon for every users ?

Hi there,

Is there any way to show Avamar system tray icon for every users on a machine (even non-administrators) ?

I want every users to be able to connect to desktop laptop interface and run on-demand backups.

Thank you in advance for your answer,

Tibo

PS: why documentation does not mention theses facts anywhere (no icon for users, need admin rights to be installed ...) ?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 31st, 2010 06:00

The user account being used must have sufficient rights over the account that is being used to start the Avamar Backup Agent service.

If permissions are restricted then when the user logs in they will not see the icon.

Alternatively, the users can be given backuponly or restoreonly permissions and use the web interface to facilitate any requests.

Good point, the documentation does not make mention of this.  I will do some searching to see if I can find anything.

Thx,

11 Posts

April 1st, 2010 01:00

I tried to give every rights on avs folders and files but still no luck. Users will not be able to see it.

April 1st, 2010 04:00

It's not recommended but there *is* a way to default back to the old functionality where this was possible.

See http://solutions.emc.com/emcsolutionview.asp?id=esg100367

11 Posts

April 6th, 2010 08:00

Looks like a good solution.

I'm just afraid for future updates (avamar team could disable this feature without any warnings)

No Events found!