Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 11th, 2013 03:00

The configuration of this client does not support browsing on Red Hat clients

Hello,

I am getting this error ("The configuration of this client does not support browsing") when trying to do a file system backup on a few of my RHEL 6 clients.

- The client is successfully registered with the Avamar server

- The utlility can resolve clients short and FQDN

- From the utility I can telnet to the client port  28002

- From the client I can telnet to the utility port 28001 - No firewall issues

- SELINUX is disabled

- I have removed and reinstalled agent, re-registered client and same results

- avagent.log does not have anything related

Has anyone seen this browsing error before with Linux clients?. Most of my clients are good, just some seeing this error.

Regards,

498 Posts

April 15th, 2013 12:00

you don't say if you are backing up a physicl sever with the client installed, or a vm Linux..... so which is it?

7 Posts

April 16th, 2013 03:00

Thanks for getting back to me J.H.

Yes, they are all VMware virtual machines running Red Hat.

Thanks v much

Jose

498 Posts

April 16th, 2013 07:00

thats what I thought.

so when you choose the folders in Backup and Restore - you get an error correct?

I am the same way NONE of my RH servers quilify for FLR (see below for Limitations)

so I have to backup my Linux VM's as a vm once a week (so I can rebuild if needed)

and daily I do backups as a physical with the client installed on the server.

File-level restore limitations

The following limitations apply to file-level restore as described in “Restoring specific

folders or files” on page 86:

The following virtual disk configurations are not supported:

• Unformatted disks

• Dynamic disks

• GUID Partition Table (GPT) disks

• Ext4 filesystems

• FAT16 filesystems

• FAT32 filesystems

• Extended partitions (that is, any virtual disk with more than one partition or when

two or more virtual disks are mapped to single partition)

• Encrypted partitions

• Compressed partitions

Symbolic links cannot be restored or browsed

You cannot restore more than 5,000 folders or files in the same restore operation

The following limitations apply to logical volumes managed by Logical Volume

Manager (LVM):

• One Physical Volume (.vmdk) must be mapped to exactly one logical volume

• Only ext2 and ext3 formatting is supported

7 Posts

April 18th, 2013 06:00

Problem I am having is on the "Select for backup" window. Those FLR limitations you posted, will also trow me the reported error on the "Select for backup" window?.

498 Posts

April 18th, 2013 14:00

yes if it is an unsupported file system you can browse for backups or for restores.

you will have to install the client on the server and backup/restore it that way.

498 Posts

October 28th, 2013 13:00

well there is the confusion, your former post made it sound like you changed it at the client not the policy.

you did not spcify that you had to ADD the option to the policy/dataset and you did not specify the syntax for it.

498 Posts

just where do you find you can change that?

I looked at everything in a bunch of my VM linux and I see no place to change that.

3 Posts

Ahh,

the same thing. "The client configuration does not allow browsing"......

I found it out. Go to Policy (from the launcher) -- > Select the Clients tab (next to Groups) --> browse down to the client that gives this error --> Check the Paging column. It may be set to No. Edit the client (the paging option). If the paging option is changed to Yes, then you can browse the files for backups.

3 Posts

Go to the Avamar Administrator GUI a.k.a Launcher and open the Policy. this is from the server and not the client.

If you are a command line guy, then use mcccli client edit and use the below options.

--page-detection=STRING(auto) Specifies client page detection mode. STRING

must be one of the following:

• Automatic — use automatic paging

detection (that is, ignore --pageaddr

and --pageport settings)

Manual — use --pageaddr and

--pageport settings

--pageable=BOOLEAN If true, the client can be paged for the

purpose of initiating activation or picking up

new backup or restore work.

--pageaddr=STRING Specifies client paging IP address.

3 Posts

October 28th, 2013 14:00

J.H,

My initial issue was the same as yours. Add the client (success), register the client (success), but when i tried to browse the client for the backup of files, i got the "config does not support browsing". I did not use the command line. I only used the Avamar Administrator GUI to modify the clients paging setting.

2 Posts

February 28th, 2017 10:00

I also had similar issue, and what I did was to verified the plug-in version which was wrong in the first place. The correct client agent version might end with -401 and if you have -145 or a different version installed it might not work. So what I did was to compare the client that was having plug-in issues with other active ones and I discovered the client agent version was different, so I uninstalled and re-installed the correct version similar to the active clients and it works.

82 Posts

December 22nd, 2017 03:00

This might also happens when you have 2 NIC's for the Clients.

3 Posts

December 23rd, 2017 01:00

please check the avamar client version installed on the server. I think the plugin version on the server is not supported on the Avamar Grid

No Events found!