Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 10th, 2016 09:00

The value of "Capacity used" is greater than "Bytes protected"

Hello,

Reproduced below is an output of the command that shows that the value of "Capacity used" is greater than "Bytes protected"

root@avamar://#: mccli server show-prop

0,23000,CLI command completed successfully.

Attribute                        Value

-------------------------------- ----------------------------

State                            Full Access

Active sessions                  0

Total capacity                   23.3 TB

Capacity used                    20.8 TB

Server utilization               89.2%

Bytes protected                  16.1 TB

But, in fact, the the value of "Capacity used" should be much less. The license allows to have 11TB of protected data max.

The current status of the OS capacity is 65%. Is there any way to reduce the used capacity and server utilization as a result?

November 18th, 2016 00:00

Hi Tom,

There is no '13TB' of hidden data.  I see a problem with the calculation you mentioned earlier:-

%Full value of 57% is represented the proportion of actual physical space, i.e., used space is 23,3 TB * 57% = 13,3 TB

In actual fact:-

23.3TB == status.dpn value of 65% == 100% of user backup storage capacity

20.3TB == status.dpn value of ~57% == 89% of user backup storage capacity

The values returned by mccli server show-prop are all you need to understand capacity from a backup storage perspective.

These report on the 'green area' that you see in the schematic in https://support.emc.com/kb/457224 below the section titled "How is data stored on the Avamar?"

Thanks,

Nick

10 Posts

November 10th, 2016 10:00

Well, apparently I figured out how it works.

I see that status.dpn displays a %Full value of ~ 57%. This number can never exceed the value equal to the disk read-only parameter which should never be higher than 65%).

Using the values above I have 57/65 ~ 89%

So, it seems that the situation I have is normal. Could anybody confirm this assumption please?

If so, %Full value of 57% is represented the proportion of actual physical space, i.e., used space is 23,3 TB * 57% = 13,3 TB

How to figure out what part of this used space is used for client backups and what for the rest?

53 Posts

November 10th, 2016 16:00

Hi Tomas,

The 'Bytes Protected' is not very accurate. It is not used to caculate how much data was backed up precisely. The detail is explained in this KB.

https://emcservice--c.na16.visual.force.com/apex/KB_BreakFix_clone?id=kA2j0000000QXp0https://emcservice--c.na16.visual.force.com/apex/KB_BreakFix_clone?id=kA2j0000000QXp0

We've asked engineering to remove this from GUI as it is so confusing. But it could give customer an estimated number, so that it is stil there.

--Beta

November 11th, 2016 05:00

Here's an alternative URL for the KB article that Beta was referencing.  It will persist over time even if a newer draft of the article is published

10 Posts

November 11th, 2016 07:00

Hi Zhou, Nicholas,

Thank you for the links provided. I understand that 'Bytes protected' need not correspond with the Total capacity and Capacity used values. That's right, they are calculating different things.

Now I'm trying to understand what's the possible reason Capacity used has achieved extremely high value of 20,8TB, given that the license allows to have not more than 11TB of protected data?

53 Posts

November 11th, 2016 15:00

Well, it is not easy to find out what data is on the Avamar server as all data is deduplicated. From my experience, we can start from DPN SUMMARY report. Exporting to an excel file and using excel features to find out what clients contribute much new data.

There are also other possibilities, for example, the GC doesn't clean the old data. We will need to do a heath check on this grid.

--Beta

November 12th, 2016 00:00

The license doesn't audit the amount of data on a system.. it's more like a binary switch which allows it to function when present and valid.  You can discuss the licensing amount with a Dell account manager.

Regarding why the capacity grew so much, as Beta suggested you could make use of the DPN Summary report (refer to the Avamar Reports Guide) or perhaps a more friendly tool could be the capacity script

How to use capacity.sh script to understand daily data changes on the Avamar system

10 Posts

November 14th, 2016 08:00

Hi Zhou, Nicholas,

Health Check revealed the following:

Errors to be reviewed:

ERROR: Node 0.s selected *127.127.1.0 as the primary time server!

It's no big deal.

I have no more questions regarding the server utilization value. I will use capacity.sh, dpn summary report in order to revise the datasets. But, I still don't understand: if 13,3TB is used for the backups, used capacity value is 20,8TB, what the remaining 7,5TB is used for? OS, CP's, logs? 7,5TB that's a lot. I read that 20% (~4,7TB in my case) is reserved for checkpoint overhead. Is it true?

73 Posts

November 14th, 2016 11:00

Bytes protected is not listing capacity used by backups.  Bytes protected = The sum of the amount of space required to restore the largest single backup on each client which currently has a backup on the Avamar system.  Used capacity is the amount of space used by all backup data after compression and RAIN.  I don't believe it includes checkpoints.  See previously linked KB for more details.

As mentioned in the KB 4.7 TB in your case could be:

- RAIN redundancy

- Data due to Retention

Not specifically mentioned in the KB but my understanding is the following would also not be counted in bytes protected:

- retired clients

- Any data replicated to grid (Clients in the REPLICATE domain)

53 Posts

November 14th, 2016 19:00

The OS, CPs usage doesn't count in the used capacity. There might be other backup data, or expired data is not cleaned.

If you still have problem, feel free to open a support case. That will be more effective to get it figured.

--Beta

10 Posts

November 15th, 2016 09:00

Ok, used capacity is the amount of space used by all backup data, it does not contain anything else.

Returning to the previous question: DPN summary report as well as status.dpn %Full value provide that the used space is 13,3TB

I have done the steps described in the article https://support.emc.com/kb/197986 but 7,5TB is still used for the unspecified data. Are there any other method of obtaining a realistic analysis of data?

53 Posts

November 15th, 2016 17:00

There is a report named backend capacity report. That can be used to caculate the backup size after de-duplication. You could run it, then get the real size of all backups.

If the size is less than capacity used, that could be some hidden backups somewhere. You can open a case for support.

--Beta

November 17th, 2016 01:00

root@avamar://#: mccli server show-prop

0,23000,CLI command completed successfully.

Attribute                        Value

-------------------------------- ----------------------------

State                            Full Access

Active sessions                  0

Total capacity                   23.3 TB

Capacity used                    20.8 TB

Server utilization               89.2%

Bytes protected                  16.1 TB

The 89.2% server utilisation value is derived from the following calculation

Capacity Used / Total Capacity (20.8TB / 23.3TB)

Please ignore the 'bytes protected' value.  It bears no direct relation to capacity consumption on the Avamar server.

10 Posts

November 17th, 2016 10:00

Hi Nicholas,

Yes, I got it. I'm trying to find the solution of how to clean up the "hidden" backups in order to decrease GSAN capacity and make it equal to 13,3TB as it should be, instead of 20,8TB as it is right now.

Tom

10 Posts

November 18th, 2016 05:00

I think I've got all this thing figured. Thank you very much guys!

Tom

No Events found!