I am seeing a server with about 434GB of data time out in a 10 hour window which in the past typically finished in 2 hours. However this just started in the last 2 days. Now in the past I have been able to correct this issue on other servers with uninstalling and then rebooting and re-installing the Avamar agent. However it would be nice to know what the issue is. I found on powerlink an article that mentions stoping the backup agent and deleting the f_cache file then restarting the backup agent to fix this however that has never worked.
Thought I would check here first and see if anyone else has dealt with this or something similar.
Did you change the RAM on that client server??
If you stop the backup agent service and delete the chache files, then when you perform the next backup it will take a lot of time to complete that bakcup, but when this backup finish the folowwing backups are gonna run faster....
there are a lot of things to check here... type of data, RAM, CPU utilizaction, antivirus, etc
Found my answer! This is a filecachemax setting. I always took the default which was 1/8 the amount of RAM.
So here is the equation for calculating what you should have as your default. 44bytes per file x N (number of files) x 2 = filecachemax. I was told to add 10 to the result for growth. So to fix this I stopped the backup agent, renamed the f_cache and p_cache files. Created a avtar.cmd file with the following values
The restart the backup agent and execute a backup. the first backup takes forever but tomorrow I am hoping for 2hours or less.
After the initial backups the scheduled backups ran much quicker.
Server: Before After GB
1. Labserver 10 hours 1hour 32min 420
2.Cluster drive 1 10 hours 3hour 30min 520
3.User volume 1 6hours 50min 5hours 26min 1100