Start a Conversation

Unsolved

2 Posts

March 6th, 2019 16:00

Unable to restore Exchange 2010 mailbox in Avamar

I am using Avamar Administrator 7.1.2-21 to restore mailbox data for Legal Hold / eDiscovery requests.Lately when I login with the Avamar Administrator and goto the Backup & Restore | Select the appropriate server | choose the specific backup date | select the appropriate Exchange mailbox DB | Drill down the tree via "Browse for Granular Restore" to find the particular mailbox I would like to restore | then select Restore...

I am seeing at the top of my list of mailboxes for the Exchange Mailbox DB, a list of backed up mailbox in the DB that appear like the below image.

Every time I try to restore a mailbox that has a "(D)" in front, it fails with error.

What does the "(D)" signify and how do I restore these mailboxes? I am already trying to "Recover the entire deleted mailbox".

I'm not sure why it states the mailbox has been deleted, as the particular user was still an employee at the time of the backup and the mailbox would have been active like any other currently active user mailbox.

Can some please provide so info into what this is and how I can recover/restore these "(D)" mailboxes? I have spent countless days/weeks trying to obtain these mailboxes and am my wits end. If the mailbox does not have the "(D)" in front, the restore of the mailbox data to another currently active mailbox on my active Exchange servers works just fine without issue.

March 11th, 2019 17:00

Have you tried to restore the message to local drive instead of Exchange ? Does it give you the same error ?

May 10th, 2019 09:00

I am trying to restore the entire mailbox so that I can export it to a PST file.

For legal hold purposes, I need to be able to restore mailboxes of former employees that are no longer in Active Directory. It appears that if a User Account no longer exists in Active Directory, you cannot restore the Exchange mailbox backup with Avamar using the GLR.

Seems like a waste to even show these in the GUI if they cannot be restored. It shows the mailbox, amount of items, and the size of the data, but cannot restore.

No Events found!