Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 10th, 2014 07:00

VMWare Image Proxy does not work after Avamar Node reboot

I have had this issue on other occasions and haven't been able to figure out how to fix it without re-deploying my image proxies.  For the current issue at hand, I had my Avamar Nodes upgraded to 7.0.2-47 to fix an issue.  Our DR node was upgraded first, the next day all of my VMware backups failed due to time-out.  I noticed that the image proxies were not running backups.  They were communicating with Avamar just fine.  If I went into Administration and went to each proxy agent (1-8) and 'invite client', I would get a sent response and no errors.  But no backups would occur.  So I had to remove the image proxies and then re-deploy the proxy from the ovf file and all, re-configure in Avamar and backups began running.

Now my Prod node has been upgraded and the proxies are doing the same thing.  There are other instances that I have had to do the same thing, as in remove the proxy(ies) and reconfigure them.  I have tried restarting the agent on the proxy itself without re-registering, hasn't worked.  I have restarted the agents with re-registering, this has worked but I have to basically re-configure everything again since the agent's re-register as localhost-proxy-1, etc.  Rebooting doesn't work.  Is there something I can do so I don't have to re-configure the proxies to get them to start working again?

I haven't went into the proxy and renamed the hostname, that maybe my issue.  if I were to restart the agent and re-register then maybe with proxies will be named correctly and I won't have to rename them in avamar again. 

November 12th, 2014 09:00

Just getting back to this again....finally.  RJHarris - you are correct! The reverse DNS information was not correct, or should I say not even there,I wish I was the admin of the DNS stuff again -  but I am not going to get into that right now .  After getting the DNS straightened out I can reboot the image proxy, reboot the Avamar server or restart Avamar services on the node and the proxies continue to work.  Even went through a 7.1.0 upgrade on both the Prod and DR Avamar systems and they still worked.  Now just working on getting the proxies upgraded now.

I wish I would have been told this during the Avamar deployment last year.

J-H end user -  I tried refreshing the vcenter connection but it would not work with clients waiting.  I did not want to cancel all the jobs and then start all the jobs back up again.  On my reports the next day it throws me for a loop.

Thanks again!

498 Posts

October 10th, 2014 13:00

you need to refresh your vcenter connection

go to the administration page

Services Administration tab

drill to Utility Node

find the line for your vcenter

right click

choose restart (even if it says it is ok) to have Avamar re-connect (read) your proxies from vcenter.

21 Posts

October 10th, 2014 13:00

Brent,

The key item here is your proxies are showing up as localhost. This means they lost their hostname information. This means you either manually edited them when you deployed them in the first place or they lost their DNS information.

The proxies heavily rely on DNS you must be able to run forward and reverse look up on their name. When they boot up they check DNS to get their name. So you can manually change but not recommended. Once you get the proxies back with their hostnames instead of localhost you should not have a problem and they should connect to Avamar just fine.

Richie

No Events found!