tvaguy
6 Indium

VMware rules - error in domain mapping

I'm trying to add a dynamic rule that will put VMs in /VCENTER/VirtualMachines. I can add a dynamic rules that go to other domains or root, but when I add:

RULE                          DOMAIN

AnyRule                         /VirtualMachines

I get

Error in domain mapping priority #1: Domain is reversed: /VirtualMachines

I've also tried /VCENTER/VirtualMachines with the same resultUntitled.jpg

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Geo79
1 Copper

Re: VMware rules - error in domain mapping

So I ran into the same issue. Really stupid but I think the sub-domain of "VirtualMachines" is special to Avamar so you can't use/reuse it. I even tried deleting it then editing the client and pointing to it. To my disappointment you get the same error, as you've noted.

Try entering any other name for the domain. I used /vm_clients and tagged my rules (VM Tags) to that. And from there you'll see a sub-domain in my case /<vcenter>/vm_clients. After which I was able to sync with vCenter and a few minutes later the VM's appeared within the sub domain /vm_clients.

Avamar_auto_discovery.jpg

tvaguy
6 Indium

Thanks for the reply. I need to allow system admins to do restores and I think everything has to be in the /VCENTER/VirtualMachines domain. Right now I’m just running a script to move the clients. Tried creating a sub-domain inside VirtualMachines, but the rule still wouldn’t allow me to move. Fails with the same error.

0 Kudos
tvaguy
6 Indium

If anyone needs to have the VM clients in the VirtualMachines domain, this script works for me:

mccli client show --domain=/VCENTER > /home/admin/work/vm-clients.txt

i=0
while read p; do
   (( i++ ))
   if [ ${i} -gt 3 ]; then
      vm=$(echo $p | cut -d ' ' -f 1)
      if [ ! -z "$vm" ]; then
         if [ ${vm} != "VCENTER" ]; then
            echo "Move ${i}  ${vm}"
            mccli client move --domain=/VCENTER --new-domain=/VCENTER/VirtualMachines --name=${vm}
         fi
      fi
   fi
done </home/admin/work/vm-clients.txt
0 Kudos