Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 21st, 2014 08:00

Windows VSS Backup Growth

I have configured a Windows VSS backup for a Windows 2012 server running SQL Server 2012 and am running into an issue with the size of the backup. This server is in a policy with other SQL Servers. I started the backup on July 1st. The first backup was 35 GB (which is typical of my other servers as well). My problem is that each day the backup for this one server grows by 3 GB each day and my Avamar grid is filling up. In the past 20 days it has gone from 35 GB to 81 GB. I've verified that other servers (including Windows 2012 servers) aren't doing this...it appears to only be this one server. I also verified that there isn't another system state backup being written to this server.

Has anyone else seen this issue?

Thanks.

Community Manager

• 

6.1K Posts

July 23rd, 2014 00:00

Hey,

Did you used VSS backup for Windows 2012 and SQL Server 2012 ?

The full is the only supported backup level for the Avamar Plug-in for Windows VSS.

94 Posts

July 23rd, 2014 06:00

The dataset specified "All local Windows filesystems" and "Windows VSS". The filesystem backup is fine. The VSS backup is the one that's growing. This is not normal in our environment because when I look at all of my other servers that run VSS the backup stays around 29-36 GB. None of them grow each day like this one is growing (including the other servers in this same policy).

Community Manager

• 

6.1K Posts

July 23rd, 2014 22:00

I'm sorry that I didn't check your message clearly. It is abnormal. In general, when you backup Windows server and SQL server by VSS, it will exclude sql data files. And if your daily changed data was 3GB, actually only 3GB changed data will be stored on Avamar grid. So, it shouldn't be putting pressure to the capacity of Avamar server.

No Events found!