Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 25th, 2013 15:00

avamar FLR error

anything else i can check for the following error while trying to browse a vmware image backup using the FLR option?

"the partitions is invalid or not supported"

207 Posts

March 25th, 2013 15:00

File-level restore limitations

◆ Unformatted disks

◆ Dynamic disks

◆ GUID Partition Table (GPT) disks

◆ Ext4 filesystems

◆ FAT32 filesystems

◆ Extended partitions (that is, any virtual disk with more than one partition)

◆ Encrypted partitions

◆ Compressed partitions

498 Posts

March 26th, 2013 10:00

check the type of disk the vm has.  I recently had this issue where one of the drives was RDM (not a window person so I don't know what that means) so I had to exclude the drive that was RDM and setup a backup of that data as a separate physical backup.

So check with the VM tech to see if any of the drives are different.

Now you did not specify if you are having this on ALL vm's or just one - so my above is assuming it is on just one.

2K Posts

March 26th, 2013 11:00

one of the drives was RDM (not a window person so I don't know what that means) so I had to exclude the drive that was RDM and setup a backup of that data as a separate physical backup.

RDM devices are volumes that are mapped to a raw physical device (normally a SAN LUN) by VMware. VMware can't create snapshots of RDM devices and if VMware can't snap it, it can't be backed up at an image level.

See:

Virtualized Exchange Storage: VMDK or RDM or…? | Virtualize Business Critical Applications - VMware Blogs

498 Posts

March 26th, 2013 12:00

ianderson -thanks for telling me what a RDM is - and  that was my point....... i could not backup the RDM drive via a VM backup and had to exclude it from the VM backup and back up the drive  as a normal drive.

3 Posts

November 12th, 2013 04:00

Do we have any knowledge if the Ext4 filesystem is going the be supported with File-Level Restore? Is there a way to make a feature request, as the Ext4 filesystem is nowdays very frequently the default filesystem with Linux distributions.

Community Manager

• 

6.1K Posts

November 12th, 2013 17:00

Hey Roberto,

Please check the file system and disk type of your VM by following contents. You will find the answer. Hope this helpful.

File-level restore supported configurations:

You can perform file-level restores on backups of the following file systems:

◆ NTFS (Primary Partition with MBR)

◆ Ext2 (Primary Partition with MBR)

◆ Ext3 (Primary Partition with MBR)

◆ LVM with ext2 (Primary Partition with MBR and a Standalone [without MBR] LVM with

ext2)

◆ LVM with ext3 (Primary Partition with MBR and a Standalone [without MBR] LVM with

ext3)

File-level restore limitations:

File-Level Restore does not support the following virtual disk configurations:

◆ Unformatted disks

◆ Dynamic disks

◆ GUID Partition Table (GPT) disks

◆ ext4 filesystems

◆ FAT16 filesystems

◆ FAT32 filesystems

◆ Extended partitions

◆ Encrypted partitions

◆ Compressed partitions

File-Level Restore does not support the following Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012

configurations:

◆ Deduplicated NTFS

◆ Resilient File System (ReFS)

◆ Extensible Firmware Interface (EFI) boot loader

File-Level Restore also has the following limitations:

◆ You cannot restore or browse symbolic links.

◆ Browsing either a specified directory contained within a backup or a restore

destination is limited to 5000 files or folders.

◆ You cannot restore more than 5000 files or folders in the same restore operation.

The following limitations apply to logical volumes managed by the Logical Volume

Manager:

◆ You must map one Physical Volume (.vmdk) to exactly one logical volume.

◆ Formatting is limited to ext2 and ext3.

3 Posts

November 12th, 2013 22:00

Latest Avamar 7.0 Release states that under VMware there is support for vSphere 5.1 and Ext4.https://support.emc.com/docu48222_Avamar-7.0-Release-Notes.pdf?language=en_US

This does not mean that Ext4 is supported in VMware Image Level Backups when doing File-Level Restore?

No Events found!