Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 26th, 2013 08:00

avamar alerts template

is there a good sample alerts template for avamar...the one included in the GUI by defualt is a bit overwhelming and hard to

pick and choose the most important alerts.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 26th, 2013 13:00

Great question. Virtually every customer I interface with is set to receive the email home emails, from the time of implementation, are also conveying they find it a challenge to read these emails and are therefore subsequentally ignoring them.

Here is a spreadsheet and walkthrough I put together for our Best Practice based services (OAS, ACPS, etc). The attached spreadsheet contains alerts for the following 5 areas. Alerts pertaining specifically to "Data Domain, VMware, or Backup and Restores" are highlighted respectively. This list of alerts can also be monitored via SNMP traps as well by adding the IP address and community string on the SNMP tab:

1) Hardware Errors
2) Capacity
3) Application Errors
4) Maintenance Activities
5) Backup or Restore

(Virtually 100% of the time customer's wish to omit the Backup and Restore based alerts from this profile and prefer to monitor via a daily report instead)

** Note: Please go over the alerts, there are a couple duplicates I need to remove and some fine tuning of the spreadsheet. Please do not hesitate to include anything that is missing for a more "complete" monitoring viewpoint of the system. Please let me know any suggestions so that I can update mine as well (joe.cook@emc.com).

CONFIGURATION STEPS:

[1] First, remove customer from email home alerts

[2] Create a profile configured to send alerts "as they occur" with the attached set of alerts 

In the Avamar Administrator, go to Tools/manage profiles/
Highlight the Avamar server name at the top of the list and click new
Under Profile Name, type " Alerts"

If using email alerts ensure only the following is checked then click next:
- "Profile Enabled"
- "Email Enabled"
- Send data as events occur
** Only check SNMP or Syslog if using

Under Event codes, enable the events codes in the attached spreadsheet. You may desire to resize the window to it's maximum side for easier selection.

* Note: These alerts are a growing list so please communicate back to (joe.cook@emc.comjoe.cook@emc.com) if you receive any spam or can suggest a modification in this alert list template.

On the Parameters tab set the following then click next:
a) Check 22629 and add "90" (notifies in 90 days)
b) Check 22630 and add "85" (notifies at 85% capacity)
* These can be set to whatever the customer deems appropriate as well. 90days and 85% capacity seem generally preferred.

Under Email Subject Header, type " Alerts"
Enter the designated customer recipient and click the plus sign to add, repeat as desired for each designated recipient

Select "Inline attachments" then click next

If desiring to send events to a remote Syslog server fill in the following screen. If not click next.

If desiring to send events to an SNMP trap collector/ monitoring software fill in the following screen. If not click finish.
* Note: Some customers have the ability to integrate snmp alerts into their IT ticketing systems to automatically create IT Tickets from alerts received via SNMP. Others may also be able to leverage email for these as well. This is a great way to integrate Avamar more into a customer's existing support workflow.

[3] Create a secondary profile to send the backup reports to the customer

a) Create schedule that kicks off after backups complete, set to run daily (e.g. 8am or so)
b)  Include backup failure report and completed with exceptions reports
- Most customers end up requesting txt based, inline attachments however csv, xml, or txt external attachments or inline are available

This usually satisifies the basics for alerting. More robustness can readily be built in through many other avenues (e.g. DPA, SQL, MCCLI, DRAC, IPMITOOL, etc). These are often already in use in many environments and customer expertise can be leveraged for a tighter integration into the customer environment.

Please do not hesitate to contact with any questions, feedback, etc.

Joseph W. Cook
EMC² | Avamar
Senior Practice Consultant 

Americas BRS Delivery Practice - EMC Global Services
Email: joe.cook@emc.com

1 Attachment

2K Posts

March 26th, 2013 09:00

Generally speaking, if I'm setting up a notification profile for a customer, I'll start with a copy of the "High Priority Events" profile and disable anything they aren't interested in seeing. The HPE profile is what's used for mail home so it will cover everything critical.

10 Posts

March 26th, 2013 14:00

thank you! excellent work

1 Message

March 31st, 2013 06:00

Hi Joe,

I managed to get the SNMP working, however, i would like to send Avamar event to a remote syslog server, could you provide some guideline?

When creating a profile, we have change the entry in IP add from localhost to some remote server IP, is there any other configuration is require?

115 Posts

January 15th, 2015 21:00

Joe, Do you think it is good to have 22311 -scheduled backup missed also in this ? backup admins would wand to see check on this as well.

5 Posts

September 15th, 2015 23:00

Hi Roberto

Try this link from ManageEngine to monitor emc avamar backup servers.

Monitoring EMC Avamar Backup Servers

Hope this helps

May 19th, 2020 01:00

Hi Joe ,

Am checking for command to enable Event Code through CLI . Can you please help me 

//Saravanan

No Events found!