stephane_quero
1 Copper

avamar single node

hi all

one of our customers wants avamar,( good idea ), but my emc Sales representant told me it's impossible to sell a single node avamar.

we have to sell 2 single nodes with replication.

anyone  has just a avamar single node in production ? appliance or juste software ?

thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
damonh2
1 Copper

Re: avamar single node

It's not impossible.  It may not be practicle.

A single node is good for remote offices or small environments, but if they out grow the capacity, they can't add capacity.  They have to add more single nodes or build a new grid.

0 Kudos
JanelleF
1 Copper

I agree with Damon, it is not impossible, but for practicality, I wouldn't recommend it. If you lose that node, then all your data is gone. Unless you are using ADT to send everything out to tape.

But a single node would be perfect in a remote office, then replicate to a larger (RAIN) node perhaps in head office - which could receive replications from all of your single nodes.

Also, I would recommend if you are thinking of deploying an Avamar system, go with RAIN straight up. Our first sale was non-RAIN (to save customer money) and later they added more nodes to go RAIN and we had to do a root-to-root replication to a temporary avamar system (same size or greater), install the new RAIN Avamar system (cannot upgrade non-RAIN to RAIN directly) then did a root-to-root replication back to the new RAIN system.

It took nearly a day each time to do the replication, time in which the customer is paying consulting services. So they may pay less upfront, but it will be better for them in the long run to just pay for a RAIN system in the beginning.

Janelle

0 Kudos
stephane_quero
1 Copper

ok thank you for your answers.

i wanted to implement single node or ave  with ADT and without replication but EMC² does not support this solution.

I have to buy avamar with local ( RAIN ) or remote protection ( replication ) , ADT is not considered as a protection.

stef

0 Kudos