Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 18th, 2014 09:00

avamar version 4.x.x questions

Hi,

We have an old avamar back up system in our office. I don't know how to use it and i've been trying to explore it. I have a couple of questions and hopeful for some answers.

1. I already added a client to avamar. Does the client need an avamar agent of some sorts for avamar to be able to back up the client?

2. Where do I find a setting where in the back up destination is specified?

3. Does someone have a tutorial for this version of avamar?

4. I understand that groups contain servers that are backedup with common datasets, when backup is done per group does the backup create a single backup file for the entire group or each individual clients in the group?

5. I've added a client and try to add dataset but it says that browsing is not enabled on the client(something like that). How do i solve this?

6. When restoring does avamar restore the backup to its original location? Say restoring mailbox.

Thanks!

355 Posts

June 18th, 2014 09:00

Hello,

I would recommend you to please go through Avamar 5.0 administration guide. I could not find Avamar 4.x administration guide but still Avamar 5.0 guide will be useful for you.

https://support.emc.com/docu9256_Avamar-5.0-System-Administration-Guide.pdf?language=en_US

1. You need to install Avamar client on your desktop/server and activate to backup them.

2. When you activate a client, you will get a option to mention destination Avamar server. Please go through guide to find details.

3. I could not see any tutorial or any guide for Avamar 4.x, please wait for some other answers.

4. After completing backup of a group which contains multiple clients, you will be able to see and browse backup files for each client.

5. I will get back to you on this.. give me some time.

6. You can restore to original or to a new location on same client or to a new location on another client. Please go though guide to get details.

Regards,

Pawan

7 Posts

June 18th, 2014 10:00

i think what caused it is that it does not have client agent installed or màybe client agent service is stopped.

7 Posts

thank you very much!

This would be very helpful as I new to Avamar and have no idea on its operation process.

7 Posts

Hi pawan,

Clicking the link for the documentation would redirect me to a login page. I tried to enter my forums credentials but was unable to authenticate. Is this another credentials?

Thanks!

2K Posts

Avamar 4 and both hardware generations that supported it have reached end of service life.

You may be able to get in touch with your EMC Account Team to get the older docs. Failing that, the Administration Guide for Avamar 5 would be your best bet for learning the system.

215 Posts

Believe it or not… I still have a copy of the Admin Guide for 4.1, I’ve attached it here in case its still required.

regards,

Adam

1 Attachment

355 Posts

Your question -

5. I've added a client and try to add dataset but it says that browsing is not enabled on the client(something like that). How do i solve this?

Answer -

Issue Browsing a client from the Avamar console may fail with the following pop-up message "configuration of this client does not support browsing."

Resolution

1.  What Avamar version is the client software?  If the Avamar plug-in catalog (Documents and Downloads page) is at v6.0.102-47 (v6.1 SP2) but the client version is newer (SP3), this will cause the browsing error to appear.  The fix for this issue involves performing a "client-only" upgrade of the plug-in catalog on the Avamar server or downgrading the Avamar client version to the one that is available on the grid.  A "client-only" upgrade can be done via the Enterprise Manager if the Avamar Downloader service is configured in the environment.  If not, please engage EMC support.

2.  Can the Avamar server successfully "page" the client with either the IP address or FQDN?  You can view the client properties via the Avamar GUI to see if a paging address is being picked up and if paging is allowed - this is the address we use to determine where to find the client. If the Avamar grid is unable to page the Windows client by FQDN (DNS hostname) then the paging address field maybe blank.

In the Avamar Administrator, go to Policy - Clients tab, select your client name and edit. If the Address field is blank, you will need to change the Paging detection method from "Automatic" to "Manual", verify that the "Enabled" option is checked and manually type in the IP address of the client.  For port number, type 28002 (if it is not populated with that value already).  If you are using a different listening port, change the value as appropriate.

3.  Also verify that port 28002 inbound (to the client) and port 28001 outbound (to the server) are not being blocked on the Windows client.  Make the necessary exceptions in the Windows Firewall if necessary.

355 Posts

June 19th, 2014 00:00

Hello,

If you are a customer or partner, you need to register yourself. After that you should be able to log in and see documents.

There are lots of KB articles on EMC support you can search with error message and resolve issues following them.

Please register if you are a customer or partner and you should be able to access EMC support.

Here is link for Avamar EMC support search -

https://support.emc.com/search/?text=Avamar&product_id=6

Hope this would be helpful.

Regards,

Pawan

No Events found!