This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 27th, 2013 14:00

avtar.cmd --exclude

I so wish the book had examples.

what I currently need to know

how to exclude a whole drive

is it --exclude=F:   or --exclude=F:\ or --exclude=F:\*   ?

so  have learned if using the avtar.cmd on windows the slash goes \

if using it on unix the slash goes /

that if thre is a space it has to have quotes around it  --exclude="C:\My Documents"

to exclude files in a dir  but sill backup sub dirs  --exclude=C:\trash\*

to exclude all files and all sub dirs --exclude=C:\trash\**

to exclude no matter where the file is found --exclude=*\myfile

other questions if some wants to answer ( or correct anything I have above)

if I want to exclude all pst  so all files that end in .pst  how would I do that?

498 Posts

March 8th, 2013 09:00

Finally got it

--exclude=F:\**

this is working for me.

one thing to be sure to check for when you make the avtar.cmdfile is that you have windows set to show you known extensions to make sure it does not have the .txt on the end of it.

70 Posts

February 27th, 2013 19:00

When I ran avtar with excludes I specified an exclude file as you can put mutliple excludes in the file.

Not sure if wildcards are supported - I don't think they are but I'm sure somene can correct me?

The command below has more in it than you need as I was running multiple avtar's at once so needed to specify the cache files.

I used this:

C:\Progra~1\avs\bin\avtar.exe -c --id=MCUser --ap=MCUser1 --account=aumelpavsn01 --one-file-system --exclude-from="C:\Program Files\avs\var\x_drive_excludes.txt" --server=aumelpavsn01 --path=/clients/aumelpfs01.aurecon.info X:\ --label=aumelpfs01_X_Drive --cacheprefix=X_Drive --logfile="C:\Program Files\avs\var\clientlogs\X_drive_on_demand_logfile.log"

The 'x_drive_excludes.txt' file had entries like this in it:

"X:\Shares\Projects\Melbourne Water"

The above entry skipped the folder and all sub folders within.

498 Posts

February 28th, 2013 13:00

Bill - thanks for the info but you are off on your answer

I am looking for how to put the exclude option INTO the avtar.cmd txt file that you create on the client in avs/var so the backups read it when any jobs run.

I know wildcards can be use just not sure how to exclude a whole drive.

70 Posts

February 28th, 2013 15:00

Ah yes similar to specifying the --cpu-throttle variable.  I have used the avtar.cmd before to do that.  The syntax should be the same since the example above is for avtar.exe.

Why don't you just try a few options and see what the result is with an on-demand backup?

11 Posts

March 5th, 2013 06:00

Hi J.H,

To exclude the entire F:\ from backup, you may use --exclude=F:/**

To exclude all pst files, you can try --exclude=/**.pst

143 Posts

March 8th, 2013 10:00

I definitely agree that Avamar's use of wildcards could be better documented.  There's a lot of trial and error involved to find what works for your particular need.  Even support resorts to the trial-and-error method in their lab when asked wildcard questions.

No Events found!