Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 11th, 2014 02:00

how to change the Avamar name to use by clients

I need to change the Avamar hostname that will be used to register new clients.

Could that be the HFS name ?

How can I change this ?

117 Posts

June 11th, 2014 02:00

Hi,

The Avamar utility node hostname is generally known as the "hfsaddr" in most logs or configuration files.

To change the hostname of an Avamar server you can follow the "Changing Name and IP addressing of Avamar systems document".

Note - although the document is very long if you just need to change the hostname you will find that a lot of the steps will not take very long as no action will be needed (for example changing IPs on all nodes...)

Regards,

Adam

June 11th, 2014 03:00

it's a new server, no clients yet...

Is there a simple way only to change the hostname ?

June 11th, 2014 06:00

Hello Adam,

Went through the procedure... not so difficult... now hoping I didn’t miss anything.

Thanks !

Tom.

117 Posts

Great good to hear!

Indeed the 20 or so page procedure tends to put people off, but it is not too bad, just that there is a lot of outputs and detail in there.

Adam

117 Posts

Tom,

No I am afraid not, the hostname is used by a number of processes and databases and simply changing the hostname via the OS only will break a number of things. However if you actually go through the document you will find there are a number of steps (that concern changing the IP) that you can skip over. For example, these could be skipped:

• Updating: /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth* files
  • nodedb update if --addr=old_IP_address --new-addr=new_IP_address

So although the document is rather long - it should not take too long to complete all the tasks.

Regards,

Adam

September 29th, 2014 23:00

Does anyone know if there is an update to this document for Avamar version 7 Gen4s nodes ?

355 Posts

September 30th, 2014 06:00

Hello,

I can not see any updated or new document for Avamar 7 specifically. I believe same procedure should work for Avamar 7 as well. Have you tried renaming Avamar system using this document and did you face any issue ?

Regards,

Pawan

September 30th, 2014 21:00

I'm certainly not going to "try" this without suitable documentation.  I raised an SR and was sent a document that covers the topic for Avamar 7 which is very helpful. 

October 2nd, 2014 09:00

The latest doc on this I have found is this:

EMC Avamar Post-Installation Network Configuration for Avamar 5.x, 6.x, or 7.x Server Software

Technical Note #300-015-091

May 13, 2014

Pages 6 through about 30 something.

Good luck, we are about to do this on a 4 node grid that we have to move to a different DR site...so we have to change the Hostname AND the IP addresses.

No Events found!