Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 16th, 2012 13:00

restore file lever from vmimage proxy disk backup

we just set up a vmware proxy server and are backing up our first vmware image in hopes to transfer all of our server backups from client level to vmware disk level to cover the entire machine.  however, when i click the restore window and select the backup to restore from, i don't have a file level restore.

i click the date

then the backup (about 20gb for our test server)

all i see is [ ] All Virtual Disks

with nothing below

if i click the folder image about all virtual disks i get:

Event Code 30951

Catagory: APPLICATION

Severity: PROCESS

Summary:  Failed to find a valid proxy to browse virtual machine image backup.

thoughts?

------------------------------------

as i did some more research i found that:

Windows file-level restore is an optional feature that uses the Avamar VMware

File-Level Restore plugin to selectively restore folders and files from a VMware

image backup to a running virtual machine.

and this system has to be seperate from the vmware-image proxy server...

Message was edited by: EGiblock

2K Posts

November 16th, 2012 16:00

Which version of Avamar is this please? The FLR setup procedure changed between 6.0 and 6.1.

29 Posts

November 16th, 2012 17:00

Sounds like it time to upgrade to 6.1

--

Eric Giblock

eric.giblock@denora.com

29 Posts

6.0.66 I believe

--

Eric Giblock

eric.giblock@denora.com

2K Posts

In Avamar 6.0.1-66, the Avamar server must have two services installed and enabled (axionfs / avfs and samba) and a separate Windows FLR proxy and several pieces of software (the Avamar client, the VMware ViX API and possibly some others I'm forgetting off the top of my head) need to be installed and configured. It's a bit Rube Goldberg-esque, honestly.

In Avamar 6.1, there is a unified proxy appliance that can be configured for both image level backup and restore and file level restore. No software needs to be installed on the Avamar server itself to use the 6.1 unified proxy for FLR and no separate proxy machine is required. The unified proxy requires server version 6.1 so you would have to schedule an upgrade of the server before you could take advantage of the new architecture.

I hope this helps.

1 Message

December 23rd, 2012 06:00

Dear Ianderson, 

Where can I find the document about the "In Avamar 6.1, there is a unified proxy appliance that can be configured for both image level backup and restore and file level restore." 

Best Regards,

Chang-Yi

2K Posts

December 24th, 2012 13:00

You can find information about the Avamar 6.1 unified proxy in the Avamar 6.1 for VMware User Guide.

No Events found!