Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 19th, 2010 13:00

vCenter and Avamar

Is there any limit on home many vCenters can be backed up in Avamar ? Also is there any detailed documentation on this and the Avamar backup appliance for VMware ?

18 Posts

May 19th, 2010 16:00

Avamar can talk with only one vCenter for backing up VMs.

Backup of vCenter itself is just like any windows client and many vcenter server can be backed up as a windows server. Refer system admin guide (for v5, pages 464, 465)

120 Posts

May 20th, 2010 06:00

If vCenter is just like any other client, than why can't we add more than one vcenter client to avamar ? I've gone through the admin guide a couple times and looked through the pages you have specified, but havent found the answer I'm looking for. I need to know why this limitation exsists.

266 Posts

May 20th, 2010 11:00

Only one vCenter can be configure ...

maybe you can aks EMC for RFE ...  maybe there are still plans for version 6.0 ... but not sure ...

please ask EMC tech part for details ...

18 Posts

May 20th, 2010 15:00

I said vCenter is just like any other client for the purpose of backing up the vCenter (as a windows client) and the pages i referred talks about what is very important to backup vcenter's configuration.

If you want to backup more then one vCenter, it is not possible with the current version.

IMPORTANT:  You can add only one VMware vCenter client.

Above is from page 466 on the system admin guide.

Only way to add "vmware vCenter" is from Domain Root -> New client and it will get disabled after a vCenter is added.

I implemented the image level backup by following the VMware  Image Backup (ESX Server 4.0) section.

No Events found!