Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 15th, 2013 13:00

Glossary of Big Data Terminology

Vincent Granville recently posted an excellent glossary of Big Data Terminology on his blog. If you're interested in learning more about Big Data, it might be worth a look. Here's a small sample:

A

Aggregation – a process of searching, gathering and presenting data
Algorithms – a mathematical formula that can perform certain analyses on data
Analytics – the communication the discovery of insights in data
Anomaly detection – the search for data items in a dataset that do not match a projected pattern or expected behaviour. Anomalies are also called outliers, exceptions, surprises or contaminants and they often provide critical and actionable information.
Anonymization – making data anonymous; removing all data points that could lead to identify a person
Application – computer software that enables a computer to perform a certain task
Artificial Intelligence – developing intelligence machines and software that are capable of perceiving the environment and take corresponding action when required and even learn from those actions.

B

Behavioural Analytics – analytics that informs about the how, why and what instead of just the who and when. It looks at humanized patterns in the data
Big Data Scientistsomeone who is able to develop the algorithms to make sense out of big data
Big data startup – a young company that has developed new big data technology
Biometrics – the identification of humans by their characteristics
Brontobytes – approximately 1000 Yottabytes and the size of the digital universe tomorrow. A Brontobyte contains 27 zeros
Business Intelligence – the theories, methodologies and processes to make data understandable

You can find the full index here: BigData-Startups | The ABC of Big Data - Glossary

October 21st, 2013 16:00

I like "brontobytes" and 27 zeros... for some reason reminds me of brontosaurus... but brontosaurus is past and brontobytes is the future...

633 Posts

October 22nd, 2013 06:00

It's entirely possible that the name comes from a brontosaurus. It's a long number and the brontosaurus was a very long dinosaur. Bronto- comes from the Greek word for thunder, and the dinosaur's name is meant to imply that the animal was so heavy, it created the sound of thunder when it walked.

247 Posts

October 22nd, 2013 07:00

I was honestly thinking this was a prank created by Hrvoje Crvelin . I mean, Brontobytes... that's not the first thing that comes to mind.

/cc RRR  regarding the discussion this morning about 1000 Yottabytes.

633 Posts

October 22nd, 2013 07:00

I have to say, a Brontobyte makes more sense to me as a term than Yottabyte. Does anyone know the origin of that term?

5.7K Posts

October 22nd, 2013 08:00

Hahahaha, indeed.

5.7K Posts

633 Posts

Well, I have generally figured out how to see Greek roots in modern words, but getting "yotta" from ὀκτώ is a stretch. According to how I learned Greek, ὀκτώ would be said as "hock-TOE." But very interesting to know. Now we'll have to look up Brontobyte and see if my theory on that one is correct.

October 22nd, 2013 11:00

Kate, didnt know EMC had ancient Greek talent Curiosity is what makes a great talent. I looked into the word origins of "brontobyte". This wiki article says anything after yottabyte is not official - Unit prefix - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - until some standard comes up to define the "big" bytes, guess we can go with brontobytes.

5.7K Posts

October 23rd, 2013 02:00

Bronto... really. Can't find any good reference for that

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 12th, 2014 10:00

Very helpful, thanks Kate!

176 Posts

September 12th, 2014 12:00

No mention of a data lake (storage repository of raw data). I wonder if that is an oversight, or was the term of more recent coinage?

256 Posts

September 15th, 2014 07:00

Big data defined: Defining Big Data - Forbes

15 Posts

September 15th, 2014 09:00

Here's another post from LinkedIn on 12 different definitions of Big Data:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/article/20140908154407-3639577-what-s-the-big-data-12-definitions

633 Posts

September 15th, 2014 09:00

There's also this interesting piece from Bill Schmarzo talking about the relative irrelevance of the names when it comes to Data Lake or Data Reservoir:

https://infocus.emc.com/william_schmarzo/data-lake-data-reservoir-data-dumpblah-blah-blah/

109 Posts

September 15th, 2014 11:00

Great list and really enjoyed some of the links!

No Events found!