Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

12 Posts

August 7th, 2018 08:00

Avocent iKVM firmware update failed. Timeout

Hi guys. 

Yesterday, i updated Poweredge M1000e to last firmware version: 6.10. Later, i "try" to update Avocent iKVM firmware with consecuent firmware version. But filed because

"Unable to update the iKVM firmware. The firmware update timeout limit is exceeded."

And....... iKVM it's now useless!!!!

iKVM firmware update process take 14 minutes aprox, maybe 15. Do you know when i can increase timeout limit? I check services setup and RACADM is in 600 seconds timeout. Web Services is in 1800 seconds timeouts.

Please guys give me and advice, help, send me chakras or something like else. 

• 

6.2K Posts

August 7th, 2018 11:00

Hello

Those session timeouts should only affect the upload. Once the firmware update starts it should not be reliant on your session. If it is taking a long time to upload the update then I suggest you perform the upload from a system on the LAN with a better connection.

If you are having issues applying the update via RACADM then try using another method, like the CMC web interface.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=KNGK5

Thanks

12 Posts

August 7th, 2018 14:00

Hi guys. 

because a CMC firmware upgrade and post kvm firmware upgrade, my kvm is in useless state. 

It's possible (and safe or course) apply downgrade to CMC firmware? Something like that:

Current CMC firmware version: 6.10
Downgrade to firmware version: 6.00 or 5.22

Thanks.

12 Posts

August 7th, 2018 14:00

Hi Daniel.

I try with racadm using Server. According Server logs, upload take just one minute.

Note that racadm always says

File transfer in progress

Even when Servers says to me that transfer was finished.

Later, after 15 minutes after Server finish transfer, racadm says

Firmware update operation failed.

So, i try with webserver and ssh racadm and always fails 15 minutes after upload.

I try with others firmware versions but same problem.

• 

6.2K Posts

August 7th, 2018 17:00

If you plan to back-flash firmware you should read the release notes, important notes, and installation instructions of the installed firmware and any revision you plan to skip for any limitations on back-flashing.

http://www.dell.com/support/

I suggest restarting the CMC. If you still do not have access and cannot update firmware on the iKVM then I would reseat it to allow a full restart.

12 Posts

August 8th, 2018 05:00

Thanks Daniel.

I executed "cmcchangeover" and nothing. 

Wich racadm command restarts CMS?

12 Posts

August 8th, 2018 05:00

Other.

kvm was disconnected and connected from CMC and nothing works. 

Greetings

• 

6.2K Posts

August 8th, 2018 11:00

Do you have redundant CMCs or only one? I thought the iKVM took up the second CMC slot. If you have only one CMC then failover or changeover commands will do nothing. You need to use something like racadm racreset to restart the CMC. racadm racreset will restart the CMC racadm racresetcfg will restore default configuration, there is a big difference between the two commands.

There is an issue that can occur where the temporary folder created for updates becomes full and causes updates to time out. Restarting the CMC should clear the temporary folder. I'm not aware of a method to increase the time out threshold.

If the issue persists then the iKVM may need to be replaced.

12 Posts

August 9th, 2018 08:00

racadm reset doesnt' works. :(

CMC logs says:

Software on the system has logged an event that cannot be determined. You may need to review this event using a tool which displays raw data such as Ipmitool with the -vvv option or Racadm with the -E option.

which command racadm can see detailed logs?

Thanks

No Events found!