Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 3rd, 2018 07:00

Broadcom BCM5720 Firmware Update Issues on M520 (VRTX)

I'm having issues updating the Broadcom BCM5720 4-port NIC firmware on two PowerEdge M520 (VRTX) servers. All other firmware components on both the M520's and VRTX were upgraded successfully.

It seems that each individual NIC port is updated during the firmware update, but in my case I can only get 2 of the 4 ports to update. Current firmware version on the NIC is 7.10.17. I've tried updating to a number of newer versions, including the latest (20.6.52). In the case of the two ports that fail to upgrade, the updated firmware is shown as the rollback version in the DRAC/CMC, the other two ports show the correct new firmware version.

The VRTX does include the FlexAddress functionality. I have tried updating the firmware after disabling FlexAddress on a server slot but it appeared to make no difference. I see nothing useful in the hardware or chassis log. The Lifecycle Log does appear to report a successful upgrade.

Is there a specific procedure for upgrading the Broadcom BCM5720 NIC firmware on a PowerEdge M520 within a VRTX chassis???? Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance!

• 

6.2K Posts

May 4th, 2018 09:00

If you are not using a PTM then it should not apply.

Make sure the system BIOS, iDRAC, and CMC are up to date. If they are not up to date then update them and try to update the LOM firmware again. If it still does not update properly then update from the host operating system. If the host OS is not supported by our update packages then you can boot to our Support Live Image and use the RHEL packages.

www.dell.com/support/contents/article/product-support/self-support-knowledgebase/enterprise-resource-center/enterprise-tools/support-live-image

Thanks

• 

6.2K Posts

May 3rd, 2018 12:00

Hello

Depending on which network I/O module that is used, only 2 ports on the 5720 will function. I suggest reviewing this article to see if it applies to your situation.

www.dell.com/support/article/sln295617/

Thanks

4 Posts

May 4th, 2018 00:00

Hi Daniel, thanks for the quick response.

The referenced article certainly seems to be related, but I don't think it fits my situation perfectly. In my scenario, all four ports appear to be up (link status is up), indeed all four are configured as a LAG. The VRTX does also include a R1-2401 VRTX 1Gb Switch Module. I notice in the workaround section of the article it refers to a PTM, would that be a Pass-Through Module? In which case, the article doesn't appear to apply in this case.

Any other thoughts?

4 Posts

May 7th, 2018 02:00

Hi Daniel, thanks for the additional advice. I'm happy to report that I have now successfully upgraded the Broadcom NIC firmware using the Dell Support Live Image bootable ISO and the RHEL packages.

Many thanks for your assistance.

No Events found!