Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 22nd, 2008 10:00

DC Evironment

Hi everyone,
My customer (Andrew) and I have a question.
He's very close to a purchase on the new M1000e enclosure but has will have to convert DC to AC to make it work.
He specific questions are as follows....

"Cost of 220Volt AC inverter system?"

>I've checked with Liebert...there working on this. Any other vendors that I could ask?

"How much inefficiency does the inverting solution add - the inverting solution may be very efficient, but the overall conversion from 48volt DC to 220volt AC then back to the DC voltages inside the blade enclosure can add up to be quite inefficient overall. A blade enclosure that runs natively from 48volt DC power will be far more efficient without the need for the 220volt AC inverting steps."

>I'd love to have anyone that's up for it jump on a call with Andrew and myself :-)

55 Posts

April 23rd, 2008 17:00

Andrew,
Here's the latest....

"I looked at the link you provided. The Dell blade enclosures are designed for 200VAC operation. Any conversion to 200VAC, whether from 48VDC or 120VAC, will add inefficiency (48V inverters are about 85%). There are many companies that manufacture telco 48V to 220VAC inverters. It just depends on how you want to wire them. So if this is your issue it should be easy to resolve. You can Google "a 48V + inverter + 220V" to get a list.

A blade enclosure that runs natively at 48VDC would not necessarily be more efficient than natively run 220VAC system. So I didn't know if that was a question you were trying to get answered. There are more IR losses distributing 48V than 220VAC to the rack."

April 28th, 2008 18:00

I have quite a few customers who would love to see DC powered blades because thats all their facilities can provide.
No Events found!