Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 4th, 2019 14:00

FX2 IOM FN2210S Management IP unreachable

FX2 has two FN2210 IOMS in chassis. Everything is at factory default in standalone mode. The two IOMs have two mgmt IPs. First, I noticed that management IP availability is very hectic. SSH cut suddenly, http loads then timeouts, ping is like 60% loss. Later I found that if only one IOM is connected to the network, I can reach the other (!) IOM no problem. But not the one that is connected. This is true with both IOMs. When unplug the top iom and plug the bottom, only the top is reachable. And vice-verse. Plug the top unplug the bottom only the bottom iom is reachable. If top and bottom is plugged none is worky. Verrry strange. I dont have much experience with FN2210s. Do you have any ideas?

4 Posts

January 19th, 2019 01:00

Solved: it was a loop yes. The IOMs' mgmt IPs are always reachable thru the CMC port, even when no cables are attached to the IOA's uplink (external) ports. This was the gotcha that I did not know. So there is one link passed thru CMC, and when the IOM uplink was connected to the same switching subnet this created the loop. The workaround is that IOM uplink ports should be excluded from the mgmt vlan.

• 

8.5K Posts

January 4th, 2019 16:00

Hi,

How are the switches configured? It sounds like there is a network loop being created when both are connected and that is why it is dropping traffic if both are installed and work fine alone.

4 Posts

January 5th, 2019 04:00

Thanks, Josh. That was my first assumption too. But this error is there when only one cable is connected. And furthemore the "farther" IOM which is NOT connected directly to the switching can be reached without a problem, no ping loss etc. Packet loss is at the directly connected IOM only.

[SWITCH] --- [IOM-A1] - [IOM-A2] :: A1 fails, A2 OK

[IOM-A1] - [IOM-A2] --- [SWITCH] :: A1 OK, A2 fails

[SWITCH] --- [IOM-A1] - [IOM-A2] --- [SWITCH] :: A1 fails, A2 fails

Switch is a stacked Dell 5000 series.

• 

8.5K Posts

January 7th, 2019 09:00

If you connect a laptop to that port does it have the same issue?

No Events found!