Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

31 Posts

November 15th, 2019 08:00

FX2s/FC630 iDRAC 2.70.70.70 fan speed behavior

I have a FX2s chassis that currently has three FC630 blades installed. All are running current firmware except for the iDRAC until yesterday. I upgraded the iDRACs in all servers to 2.70.70.70, and a while later, I noticed that the chassis was noisier than usual. When I looked at the CMC, I found that all fans were at 50%, which didn't seem right.

I reverted all iDRACs to 2.63.60.61 and after everything re-initialized and the CMC brought the fan speeds down, they settled in at 20% and stayed that way.

I re-upgraded the iDRACs again this morning to confirm the behavior and saw the same exact thing. After the upgrade to 2.70, chassis fans at 50%. After reverting to 2.63, they settled in at 20%.

Any ideas why 2.70 is causing the chassis fans to run at 50% when they don't need to be running that high?

6 Posts

February 28th, 2020 16:00

just upgraded two R330 servers and am experiencing the same. Considering that this thread is almost 4 months old it is clear to me that Dell doesn't care about it. The solution to only buy Dell products or we will harass you with loud sound seems to me to be grounds for a that would include every server owner out there. I tried to roll the IDRAC back but the OS (2012R2) hangs remotely, and trust me that I am not driving 40 miles every time I need to reboot just to hit F1. The client is complaining about the loud fan noise. The are swearing they will never buy another Dell product - which considering that they have a big order they were just getting ready to send in is a fitting justice for this issue. The drives that are probably causing the issue are being detected as Dell drives but not Dell Certified drives. The fan speed has been fine for the last 2 years although they do go to ballistic on start up but that is only for a moment. 

6 Posts

February 29th, 2020 14:00

wouldn't it be great if Dell would fix this

• 

3.4K Posts

March 2nd, 2020 08:00

Hello,

please can you try to downgrade idrac firmware to a previous version? You can use iDRAC interface or via OS. 
Thanks

Marco

6 Posts

April 14th, 2020 23:00

sorry but when I downgrade the IDRAC version, the server hangs after a reboot with the dreaded uefi drive error, and I have to drive in 10 miles to the clients office to hit F1. If you care about Global Warming, which Dell says is so important, then slow the fans back down and stop jamming everyone with fans wasting so much power.You know what the cause is, fix it.

• 

3.1K Posts

April 15th, 2020 00:00

Hi,

The issue that you're facing are being address on the upcoming firmware release, as mentioned https://dell.to/2wJbT80 . Have you tried the workaround that have been posted by my co-worker on your previous post? 

31 Posts

April 15th, 2020 08:00

Any ETA on the next iDRAC version? 

• 

3.1K Posts

April 15th, 2020 19:00

Hi,

I did try inquiring that from the engineering, when will be the release. But there is no certain specified date of release, due to there are different models of server. There will be certain roll out dates each. 

June 14th, 2020 02:00

Just went through this last month, what is terrible is that when I called in to support about it they assured me over & over that the firmware is tested thoroughly and wouldn't cause such an issue (wasted hours collecting & uploading system logs). . . even though as I just discovered it has been known for months. Finally figured it out on my own. I have resorted to updating the idrac firmware to 2.70.70.70 whenever i need to reboot remotely after updates etc, and then re-downgrading to 2.63.60.61 after to return the fans to normal rpm. . . hardly satisfactory

Supposed to be a fix in July from what I have been told

31 Posts

June 28th, 2020 20:00

I see that 2.75.75.75 dropped on Friday. After updating my FC630's, it appears as if fan speeds have settled in a bit lower, at least for now, than it was on 2.63.60.61. They were at 23% and they seem to have settled in at 20% after the update. They may still adjust up after a bit, but seems way improved over 2.70.70.70 where they 'settled in' at 50%.

6 Posts

June 29th, 2020 00:00

@Subnet_MaskCan you provide a link? I cannot find it and my OME does not contain it (yet).

6 Posts

June 29th, 2020 23:00

Excellent. Thanks.

I can confirm that fan speed dropped from 48% to 18% with this update.

5 Posts

October 13th, 2020 16:00

No luck my side with this. My fans are sitting at 70% and no combination of cmc, idrac or bios seems to provide any benefit. I am running the latest bios (2.11), cmc (2.30) and idrac (2.75) and have also tried various settings at the cmc and bios levels with no success.

A notable setting in my cmc is that the critical temp threshold is set to between -7°C (19°F)  and 47°C (117°F) which I can not change. Would this not result in the fans always responding to a critical condition?

• 

631 Posts

October 13th, 2020 21:00

Hi, would you be able to lower the iDRAC version to see whether the symptoms persist?

5 Posts

October 14th, 2020 20:00

Hi,

Thanks for the reply

I have so far tested 2.75, 2.70, 2.65, 2.61 with no effect on fan speed. Did these tests on the back of the actions reported in this thread. I have now set the BIOS to the High Density server profile which has reduced the fan speed to about 48% but still not far enough considering the temperature is still low so should not be triggered. 

Is there a particular version you recommend testing? 

Cheers

No Events found!