Highlighted
nrawlinson1000
2 Bronze

M1000e fans and the M610x...what's happening?

Has anyone had a problem with the M610x causing all the fans in the chassis to ramp up to 14-15K RPM and stay there?

We have M1000e with:
M610x in slots (1&9) and (2&10)
M600 in slots 3,4 5,6,7,8,11 & 12
M610 in slots 13 & 14

Chassis power capped at 5500W. 6 PSUs give 2360W each.

Without the M610x servers on, all the fans run between 4.7K and 6.1K RPM...temps are low and nowwhere near the popwer cap I've set.

Switch an M610x and it takes off...all fans immediately up over 14K and they stay there.

I've just spent 8 hours overtime updating every firmware I could find and still no joy.

And by the way, it's a show stopper. The extra power drawn by the chassis when all fans hit the roof takes us periolously close to our allowance in that rack. Are Dell aware of this? Is there a firmware fix on the way? Anything to give me hope?

I have a call raised with ProSupport (UK) 826469471 and have also found this poor soul with a similar issue: http://www.delltechcenter.com/thread/4317201/M1000e+fan+control

Is there an issue with the BIOS/CPLD of the M610x that needs looking at maybe?

Regards,

Neil
0 Kudos
31 Replies
nrawlinson1000
2 Bronze

RE: M1000e fans and the M610x...what's happening?

We just tried moving server(s) to another slot, reseating all the fans, psus, cmcs etc. No joy.
0 Kudos
Kong Yang
3 Argentium

Hi Neil,

Sorry to hear of your issues. I've reached out to the PG Blades team to see what they have to say on your issues. I will update as soon as possible.

Regards,

KongY@Dell
0 Kudos
nrawlinson1000
2 Bronze

Thanks KongY

I think the wheels are beginning to turn...latest thought appear to be replacing all the PSUs with an updated model...I, too, will keep this thread updated with any significant progress.

Neil
0 Kudos
Kong Yang
3 Argentium

Hi Neil,

What is your BIOS rev on your M610x systems and what are all of your PCIe cards that are installed? Thank you.

KongY@Dell
0 Kudos
nrawlinson1000
2 Bronze

M610x BIOS is 2.1.16 and at the moment we have no PCIe cards in there. We have ordered a FusionIO 640Gb card for each server.
0 Kudos
Kong Yang
3 Argentium

Neil,

Thank you. Please keep us updated on your status. Dell PG Engineering is working it on our side as well.

KongY@Dell
0 Kudos
nrawlinson1000
2 Bronze

DEll TAM has informed me that the new power supplies aren't available in the UK so they're being shipped from the US pronto...they should be in my hands by Friday 3rd at the latest (snow permitting - some airports are closed due to bad weather) so we shall know then whether the original PSUs are the issue.

Has this symptom been replicated by the Dell PG do you know? If youor they require any further information as to component firmwares/revisions let me know.
0 Kudos
Kong Yang
3 Argentium

Neil,

At this time, Dell PG has not been able to reproduce the symptoms. I will update to this thread as new information becomes available.

KongY@Dell
0 Kudos
nrawlinson1000
2 Bronze

All 6 PSUs replaced - no change in behaviour. This is so frustrating...and I've got a horrible feeling that I know where this will end up going...please restart the chassis...which should never really be required - and I don't believe that will fix...I reckon there's a problem with either the CMC or more likely the iDRAC 6...that last release (3.02 A01) was down to "power management issues". Perhaps there are still some issues remaining that haven't been shown up before?

Latest suggestion from SME is to boot into a different OS to see if it's the OS that's causing the issue, but I can't see it solving anything. After a reseat, the fans remain normal during POST and fire up immediately, and I mena immediately, the Windows (2008 R2) starts to load, the fans ramp up.

After powering off the server, the fans will then drop off. Immediately after power up, then, before POST kicks in, the fans will ramp up again. I have to reseat (i.e. iDRAC reboot???) in order to go through POST at normal RPM.

0 Kudos