Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 24th, 2010 13:00

M1000e fans and the M610x...what's happening?

Has anyone had a problem with the M610x causing all the fans in the chassis to ramp up to 14-15K RPM and stay there?

We have M1000e with:
M610x in slots (1&9) and (2&10)
M600 in slots 3,4 5,6,7,8,11 & 12
M610 in slots 13 & 14

Chassis power capped at 5500W. 6 PSUs give 2360W each.

Without the M610x servers on, all the fans run between 4.7K and 6.1K RPM...temps are low and nowwhere near the popwer cap I've set.

Switch an M610x and it takes off...all fans immediately up over 14K and they stay there.

I've just spent 8 hours overtime updating every firmware I could find and still no joy.

And by the way, it's a show stopper. The extra power drawn by the chassis when all fans hit the roof takes us periolously close to our allowance in that rack. Are Dell aware of this? Is there a firmware fix on the way? Anything to give me hope?

I have a call raised with ProSupport (UK) 826469471 and have also found this poor soul with a similar issue: http://www.delltechcenter.com/thread/4317201/M1000e+fan+control

Is there an issue with the BIOS/CPLD of the M610x that needs looking at maybe?

Regards,

Neil

November 25th, 2010 06:00

We just tried moving server(s) to another slot, reseating all the fans, psus, cmcs etc. No joy.

180 Posts

November 30th, 2010 07:00

Hi Neil,

Sorry to hear of your issues. I've reached out to the PG Blades team to see what they have to say on your issues. I will update as soon as possible.

Regards,

KongY@Dell

November 30th, 2010 08:00

Thanks KongY

I think the wheels are beginning to turn...latest thought appear to be replacing all the PSUs with an updated model...I, too, will keep this thread updated with any significant progress.

Neil

180 Posts

November 30th, 2010 10:00

Hi Neil,

What is your BIOS rev on your M610x systems and what are all of your PCIe cards that are installed? Thank you.

KongY@Dell

December 1st, 2010 04:00

M610x BIOS is 2.1.16 and at the moment we have no PCIe cards in there. We have ordered a FusionIO 640Gb card for each server.

180 Posts

December 1st, 2010 08:00

Neil,

Thank you. Please keep us updated on your status. Dell PG Engineering is working it on our side as well.

KongY@Dell

December 1st, 2010 08:00

DEll TAM has informed me that the new power supplies aren't available in the UK so they're being shipped from the US pronto...they should be in my hands by Friday 3rd at the latest (snow permitting - some airports are closed due to bad weather) so we shall know then whether the original PSUs are the issue.

Has this symptom been replicated by the Dell PG do you know? If youor they require any further information as to component firmwares/revisions let me know.

180 Posts

December 1st, 2010 12:00

Neil,

At this time, Dell PG has not been able to reproduce the symptoms. I will update to this thread as new information becomes available.

KongY@Dell

December 3rd, 2010 06:00

All 6 PSUs replaced - no change in behaviour. This is so frustrating...and I've got a horrible feeling that I know where this will end up going...please restart the chassis...which should never really be required - and I don't believe that will fix...I reckon there's a problem with either the CMC or more likely the iDRAC 6...that last release (3.02 A01) was down to "power management issues". Perhaps there are still some issues remaining that haven't been shown up before?

Latest suggestion from SME is to boot into a different OS to see if it's the OS that's causing the issue, but I can't see it solving anything. After a reseat, the fans remain normal during POST and fire up immediately, and I mena immediately, the Windows (2008 R2) starts to load, the fans ramp up.

After powering off the server, the fans will then drop off. Immediately after power up, then, before POST kicks in, the fans will ramp up again. I have to reseat (i.e. iDRAC reboot???) in order to go through POST at normal RPM.

180 Posts

December 3rd, 2010 11:00

Neil,

Apologies for what you and your team have been experiencing. And thank you for continuing to share what you're seeing in your datacenter. IPS and PG engineers are working on reproducing and root-cause analysis around the behavior.

KongY@Dell

December 5th, 2010 17:00

Hi
We raised the same issue but have not got any help:
http://www.delltechcenter.com/thread/4317201/M1000e+fan+control
Currently we gave up to resolve and removed GPU card from M610x and use M610x as M610.

December 6th, 2010 00:00

I'll give Dell credit when due, they sure haven't given up on me yet! I did notice your thread and linked to it in my first post, and wondered if you'd had any joy.
Hopefully we'll get a resolution soon!
Sounds like a slightly different issue because we haven't got any PCIe cards in our M610x, yet still it causes the cooling fans to go crazy.

December 6th, 2010 01:00

It's not caused by the OS - the Dell LInux distribution I booted showed the same behaviour.

December 7th, 2010 08:00

Hi - unfortunately I haven't got a solution - just a similar problem. I have a M1000e populated with 12 M600's (i.e. no M610x's). Last week the chassis suddenly started sounding like a plane taking off - all fans running at maximum revs. No new blades had been added and I can't think of anything else that changed. No fault lights on the chassis or any of the blades.

180 Posts

December 7th, 2010 11:00

Numao,

What processors do you have in the M610x and what's your BIOS rev? And did you open a support case with Dell Support? Thanks.

Graham,

Have you opened a support case with Dell Support? I'm asking IPS and PG if they've seen anything like this with M600s.

KongY@Dell
No Events found!