Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 18th, 2014 17:00

Unable to change root / calvin credientials

Hello,

I recently brought a new m1000e chassis online with two cmc's running 4.5 firmware.  When I initially connected to the CMC it prompted me to change the default password, which I successfully did.  Now I am seeing some very strange behavior.  I am able to login with BOTH root / calvin and root / new_password.  I tried changing the password from racadm cli as well as the web gui.  No luck.  I have confirmed that there is no external authentication enabled, so local login is all that should be working. 

To be honest, I do not even know where to start troubleshooting for such an odd issue.  I have never seen a single username work with two password combinations.  Perhaps someone can shed some light on this for me?  Please feel free to ask or comment anything that may be of use.  This is preventing me from moving forward with a build since I can't very well put a chassis in production with a default root password... 

If I am not clear, or if anyone would like any more information whatsoever please do not hesitate to ask.  I would really like to get this resolved ASAP.

Thank you in advance for any help provided.

Jeff

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

November 19th, 2014 19:00

Can you also check whether password reset jumper is installed on CMC. If password reset jumper is installed default user name and password will be functional.

You can refer "Resetting Administrator Password" section from below user guide to get more details on this feature.

http://downloads.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_electronics/esuprt_software/esuprt_remote_ent_sys_mgmt/dell-chassis-mgmt-cntrllr-v4.3_User's%20Guide_en-us.pdf

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 19th, 2014 08:00

Once logged into the CMC web interface, go to chassis and click on the network/security tab. Then click the users sub tab. How are the users listed on this page?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 19th, 2014 09:00

I have sent you an email, you can directly send those screenshots to me.

Thanks

10 Posts

The photos are not being attached properly.  Is there another way I can get these screenshots attached?

10 Posts

10 Posts

I did get one attached to the thread, as you can probably see.  The other one apparently requires authorization.  I did not get an email or private message from you.  I did confirm that my email settings are on (which they were) and that I can receive private messages from anyone (which I can).

10 Posts

When I login to the CMC I am looking at the chassis page. 

From there, I have both a Network and Security tab, not a Network/Security tab. I also have a User Authentication tab.  Screenshot attached:

I have attached a screenshot of my User Authentication tab as well.  As you can see I have disabled the root user, however root/calvin still works.

Can I provide you any more information to assist in troubleshooting?

Thank you!

10 Posts

10 Posts

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 19th, 2014 10:00

Thanks for the screenshots, they help out. I can't explain the behavior, but have a couple things we can try.

Have you tried failing over the the second CMC, to see if the behavior is the same?

Double check the racadm command being used to change the password.

is the new user–defined

racadm config –g cfgUserAdmin –o cfgUserAdminPassword –i

where, is a value from 1 to 16 (indicates the user account) and is the new user–defined password,

If the behavior does not change at all I suggest resetting the password for root and starting the config over again. To do so you can follow the instructions starting on page 229 of the user guide.

http://bit.ly/1xq2CZh

10 Posts

November 19th, 2014 11:00

I haven't failed over to the other CMC, but I guess that is a good place to start.  I will look into making this change.  If there is a command I can issue to force failing over from one CMC to the other please provide it. 

Regarding the command you provided information about, it appears that it isn't the proper syntax or isn't compatible...

$ racadm config –g cfgUserAdmin –o cfgUserAdminPassword –i 1 new_test_password
ERROR: The syntax of the command specified is not correct.

Here is some additional information from when I was trying to fix this from the command line.  I log each line of my terminal interactions and timestamp them.  See below:

2014/11/18, 19:51 - $ racadm config -g cfgUserAdmin -o cfgUserAdminPassword -i 1 test123
2014/11/18, 19:51 - Object value modified successfully

2014/11/18, 19:56 - $ racadm getconfig -u root

2014/11/18, 19:56 - # cfgUserAdminIndex=1
2014/11/18, 19:56 - cfgUserAdminEnable=0
2014/11/18, 19:56 - cfgUserAdminUserName=root
2014/11/18, 19:56 - # cfgUserAdminPassword=******** (Write-Only)
2014/11/18, 19:56 - cfgUserAdminPrivilege=0x00000000

I don't know if this will be any help.  If there is other information that may be helpful I would be happy to pass it along.

Thank you.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 19th, 2014 11:00

Failovers can occur when you run the racadm cmcchangeover or the racadm racreset commands on the active CMC, remove the network cable from the active CMC, remove the active CMC from the chassis, or initiate a CMC firmware flash on the active CMC.

10 Posts

November 19th, 2014 19:00

Good call.  This didn't even cross my mind.  I will check ASAP.  I didn't check this at all, but I have a feeling this may be the problem.  Will update the thread tomorrow.

Thank you for the suggestion.

10 Posts

November 22nd, 2014 08:00

This was in fact the problem.  As soon as I changed the jumper back my local credentials worked and root / calvin stopped working.

I am sure I would have found that eventually, but who knows how many hours I would have wasted.  Thank you very much!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 24th, 2014 06:00

Good to hear you got it working. Thanks for keeping us posted.

No Events found!