Start a Conversation

Unsolved

H

3 Posts

October 4th, 2022 11:00

VRTX DAS - Possible Cabling Error

I recently got a VRTX w/ 2.5" drive bays. When inserting a drive [1] the `physical disk activity indicator` will blink a few times then all indicator lights go dead. When pulling the drive out I can feel the platter spinning so I know the drive's getting power. It doesn't show up in the CMC either. With multiple drives inserted and spinning the CMC reports:

`Physical Disks: 0`

Screenshot 2022-10-04 141256.png

I figured the seller may have miss configured the server. I watched the Dell Quick Resource Locator videos to insure my cables were hooked up in the same way. I saw the only difference was that the backplane expander board was on the bottom slot rather than the top so I followed the video's example and put it on the top. Now I have my backplane expander card on the top slot of the backplane with my two SAS cables going from A/B on the card to 1A/1B on the motherboard respectively. I have my RAID card on slot 1 on the motherboard. I've also tried connecting the SAS cables to 2A/2B and putting the RAID card on the second slot and that hasn't worked either. I tried putting in another SPERC8 to see if it was the RAID card but I got the same error. I'm hoping this is just a configuration  (either hardware or software) issue and that it can be resolved but I fear it might be a bad backplane expander board. 

[1] Dell Constellation.2 (Seagate ST9100064SS) SAS 6 Gbps 1TB RPM 7.2k - Confirmed drives work on other servers

• 

3.6K Posts

October 4th, 2022 19:00

Hi part component replacement is always the last resort to minimize the cost and the hassle. Would you be able to access CMC in VRTX to see the current disk status? Or you could swap the parts to see if you still see the same symptoms. 

3 Posts

October 6th, 2022 15:00

I'm able to bring up the CMC but I'm not sure how I'd bring up the disk status as no disks are showing up and I don't believe the SPERC8 card is reporting any to the CMC. There's a Dell distributor close to me, xByte, and they might be willing to help me diagnose the issue. The only extra part I have is an extra SPERC8. I might call xByte tomorrow and ask if I can bring my server into their shop to test.

• 

3.6K Posts

October 6th, 2022 19:00

https://dell.to/3ymYS0k

Hi I think you need to resit PERC8. And for VRTX you need to access CMC.

No Events found!