Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 18th, 2016 09:00

AIX server not listing VNX LUNs as hdiskpower devices but as MPIO???

Hello and Good Afternoon All!

Setup:

AIX 6.1 LPAR running on Power 7

PowerPath 6.0SP1

VNX 5600 FLARE Block 05.33.008.5.119 (we are doing ONLY block)

We are in the process of migrating from a DMX-4 to a VNX-5600 and we just started a test with an AIX LPAR.  We were expecting to see the drives show up like the DMX-4 drives did and list themselves as hdiskpowerX (where X is the number of the drive).  However, what we are seeing has given us pause as it appears the AIX server thinks these are MPIO devices and not hdiskpower devices?  Here is what we are seeing:

# lsdev -Cc disk

hdisk77     Available C3-T1-01 MPIO Other FC SCSI Disk Drive

hdisk78     Available C3-T1-01 MPIO Other FC SCSI Disk Drive

hdiskpower0 Available C6-T1-01 PowerPath Device

Here is our INQ output as well:

/dev/rhdisk77     :DGC     :VRAID           :0533  :0B56C5ED   : 134217728

/dev/rhdisk78     :DGC     :VRAID           :0533  :0A56C5EA   : 134217728

The hdisk77 and 78 are the VNX devices and the hdiskpower is from the DMX.  My question is should these new VNX devices show up as hdiskpower devices as well or is it due to the fact that I have set the failover mode to "3" for AIX that they show up as MPIO/Other?  I have seen reference to ODM drivers, but we never needed those with PowerPath on our AIX with the DMX and I even saw a post where it said you cannot have both the ODM and PowerPath together.  Again, it could be that they just show up as MPIO, but I suspect that a nob on our end might need to be turned possibly.  Thank you for any feedback!

Cheers,

Travis

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

February 21st, 2016 20:00

you must have ODM and PowerPath. There is a section that discusses MPIO

https://support.emc.com/docu5126_Host-Connectivity-Guide-for-IBM-AIX.pdf?language=en_US

February 22nd, 2016 03:00

Dynamox, hello and good morning!  Thank you so much for the feedback and late Friday afternoon we did find that snipped in the host connectivity guide.  What initially threw us was an older post (done via Google search) that said you should not install both the ODM and PowerPath together, but that could have been us taking things out of context or just not understanding the details.  We threw ODM v5.3.1.0 on there and BOOM, worked like a champ!  Thank you so much for the assist!

Cheers,

Travis

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

February 22nd, 2016 06:00

Travis,

excellent. What are you guys using for migration, AIX LVM, Open Replicator ?

February 22nd, 2016 07:00

We are going old-school on this one and letting LVM do its magic!  It was an easy decision too...EMC gave us a Professional Services quote for more than I paid for my home to migrate the data over for us.  Only 10 AIX LPARs so we are going to make a run for it ourselves.  Back about 7 years ago we did the exact same thing by migrating off a Data Direct array (what a nightmare that was in terms of performance!) on to the DMX we are on now and it was a piece of cake...knocking on wood that this turns out the same.  Thank you again for the assist!

Cheers,

Travis

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

February 22nd, 2016 20:00

LVM on AIX is rock solid, should be pretty straightforward. Good Luck.

No Events found!