Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 15th, 2010 13:00

AX150SCi Write Cache Disabled

I have an AX150SCi that won't enable the write cache.  I've upgraded to the latest FLARE (02.20.150.5.027) and rebooted the unit a few times.  I've also tried reseating the cache module.

All components show as okay: http://imgur.com/Aeper.jpg

There is only one disk pool, one virtual disk, and one server.  Everything is connected and working (although I'm assuming it's much slower than it should be).

Any ideas?

Thanks guys!

542 Posts

September 16th, 2010 11:00

maybe it is just showing that the memory part of the card is ok but the battery part doesnt get reported and can be bad.  were you able to get the support files uploaded?

542 Posts

September 15th, 2010 14:00

I see that you only have one powersupply.  i thought it needed 2 to enable write cache?  I could be wrong.  been a very long time since i touched a ax150.

And is it attached to the UPS that it came with?

14 Posts

September 15th, 2010 23:00

If your box is in warranty or EMC maintenance contract, you can call EMC support center for help. Do you have the SPCollect log of this box? If you have, I'd like to take a look on what's wrong for it.

Thanks.

WW

7 Posts

September 16th, 2010 06:00

From the manual:

One (AX150SC or AX150SCi) or two (AX150 or AX150i) storage processors, each with:

• One CPU fan
  • One serial port (RJ45 connector) for service
  • One 10/100 Ethernet LAN port (RJ45 connector) for management
  • For the AX150 or AX150i only, one serial port (RJ45 connector) for uninterruptible power supply (UPS)
  • One power supply per processor. A second power supply is optional for AX150SC or AX150SCi storage systems
  • One front-end (FE) card per processor, each with:
    • AX150 or AX150SC — two 2-Gbps Fibre Channel host ports (small form factor - SFF - connectors)
    • AX150i or AX150SCi— two 10/100 gigabit Ethernet ports (RJ45 connector)
    • A battery-backed cache card (AX150SC or AX150SCi only)
    • One 512-megabyte memory card per processor
    • Four (AX150SC or AX150SCi) or five (AX150 or AX150i) system fans

This is an AX150SCi, so no UPS or second power supply.

542 Posts

September 16th, 2010 08:00

So do you have the UPS that comes with that systems attached?  Everything i have read states that write cache will be disabled if you dont have it connected.  The AX cant be connected to normal rack UPS for write cache to function.

7 Posts

September 16th, 2010 08:00

I don't believe it is, but I took over for a previous admin when we moved our headquarters.  I had a load of hardware dumped in my lap with no documentation.  Is there an easy way to check warranty/maintenance status?

This SAN only has Navisphere Express, so I don't have access to a CLI (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm relatively new to all of this), so I don't know how to run an SPCollect.

On the off chance it happens to be the "Generate diagnositc files for your storage system to be sent to product support" link, I've uploaded the files here:

EDIT: Link deleted

7 Posts

September 16th, 2010 10:00

That's what I was thinking, but the SAN shows the card as being okay (I attached a pic in my first post).

I'm baffled.

542 Posts

Sorry,  i read over it really fast and didnt notice that.  I have never worked with the SC versions and didnt know they do not come with a UPS.

Since it has a battery back cache card, i would think that is the next thing to look at but not sure:(

7 Posts

Kenn,

See the above excerpt from the manual.  Only the AX150 and AX150i have a UPS and UPS port, my AX150SCi does not.  That was my first thought after googling "write cache disabled", but then discovered both the AX150SC and AX150SCi do not have a UPS.

542 Posts

Yes  that is the file but i would remove the link as that info should only be between you and support:)

And i have not found a way to unmark and answered thrread:(

542 Posts

As for the warranty,  just call EMC and give them that long serial number at the beginning of the file.  they will tell you if it is still under warranty.

As for looking at the files for you,  i dont have access to the programs that EMC would use to look for problems or the knowledge of what to even look for:)

7 Posts

Oh well!

I don't think this unit is under warranty anymore, but I don't know how to tell.  Can you tell anything from the uploaded files (as far as the problem goes)

7 Posts

Crap, I clicked the wrong link and marked this as the answer!

Is there a way I can "unmark" it?

Also, see above for a link to what I believe are the support files

14 Posts

September 16th, 2010 19:00

Here is the way how to collect SPCollect for AX150 series:

Navisphere Express

1. Log in to Navisphere Express.
  2. Go to System > Services.
  3. Click Diagnostic File.
  4. Click Create Diagnostic File.
  5. Wait about 10-15 minutes. A log list similar to "SPA S/Nxxxxxxxdata.zip" will appear. If AX is a dual controller, do this step against SP B as well.
  6. Click Created Files to download local PC.
  7. Upload to support for analysis

Navisphere Manager

1. Log in to Navisphere Manager.
  2. Right-click SP A and select "SP Collect" from the drop down.
  3. Do the Same on SP B if installed.
  4. Wait about 10-15 minutes.
  5. Right click the SP and select "File Transfer Manager"
  6. A log list similar to "SPA S/Nxxxxxxxdata.zip" will appear. Select the one with the latest time stamp and upload.
  7. If AX is a dual controller, do this step against SP B as well.
  8. Supply to support lab for analysis.

When you get them, I can help to take a look.

No Events found!