Mikecom32
1 Copper

AX150SCi Write Cache Disabled

Jump to solution

I have an AX150SCi that won't enable the write cache.  I've upgraded to the latest FLARE (02.20.150.5.027) and rebooted the unit a few times.  I've also tried reseating the cache module.

All components show as okay: http://imgur.com/Aeper.jpg

There is only one disk pool, one virtual disk, and one server.  Everything is connected and working (although I'm assuming it's much slower than it should be).

Any ideas?

Thanks guys!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kenn2347
3 Zinc

Re: AX150SCi Write Cache Disabled

Jump to solution

maybe it is just showing that the memory part of the card is ok but the battery part doesnt get reported and can be bad.  were you able to get the support files uploaded?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
kenn2347
3 Zinc

Jump to solution

I see that you only have one powersupply.  i thought it needed 2 to enable write cache?  I could be wrong.  been a very long time since i touched a ax150.

And is it attached to the UPS that it came with?

0 Kudos
weiw1
1 Copper

Jump to solution

If your box is in warranty or EMC maintenance contract, you can call EMC support center for help. Do you have the SPCollect log of this box? If you have, I'd like to take a look on what's wrong for it.

Thanks.

WW

0 Kudos
Mikecom32
1 Copper

Jump to solution

From the manual:

One (AX150SC or AX150SCi) or two (AX150 or AX150i) storage processors, each with:

• One CPU fan
  • One serial port (RJ45 connector) for service
  • One 10/100 Ethernet LAN port (RJ45 connector) for management
  • For the AX150 or AX150i only, one serial port (RJ45 connector) for uninterruptible power supply (UPS)
  • One power supply per processor. A second power supply is optional for AX150SC or AX150SCi storage systems
  • One front-end (FE) card per processor, each with:
    • AX150 or AX150SC — two 2-Gbps Fibre Channel host ports (small form factor - SFF - connectors)
    • AX150i or AX150SCi— two 10/100 gigabit Ethernet ports (RJ45 connector)
    • A battery-backed cache card (AX150SC or AX150SCi only)
    • One 512-megabyte memory card per processor
    • Four (AX150SC or AX150SCi) or five (AX150 or AX150i) system fans

This is an AX150SCi, so no UPS or second power supply.

0 Kudos
Mikecom32
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I don't believe it is, but I took over for a previous admin when we moved our headquarters.  I had a load of hardware dumped in my lap with no documentation.  Is there an easy way to check warranty/maintenance status?

This SAN only has Navisphere Express, so I don't have access to a CLI (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm relatively new to all of this), so I don't know how to run an SPCollect.

On the off chance it happens to be the "Generate diagnositc files for your storage system to be sent to product support" link, I've uploaded the files here:

EDIT: Link deleted

0 Kudos
kenn2347
3 Zinc

Jump to solution

So do you have the UPS that comes with that systems attached?  Everything i have read states that write cache will be disabled if you dont have it connected.  The AX cant be connected to normal rack UPS for write cache to function.

0 Kudos
Mikecom32
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Kenn,

See the above excerpt from the manual.  Only the AX150 and AX150i have a UPS and UPS port, my AX150SCi does not.  That was my first thought after googling "write cache disabled", but then discovered both the AX150SC and AX150SCi do not have a UPS.

0 Kudos
kenn2347
3 Zinc

Jump to solution

Sorry,  i read over it really fast and didnt notice that.  I have never worked with the SC versions and didnt know they do not come with a UPS.

Since it has a battery back cache card, i would think that is the next thing to look at but not sure:(

0 Kudos
Mikecom32
1 Copper

Jump to solution

That's what I was thinking, but the SAN shows the card as being okay (I attached a pic in my first post).

I'm baffled.

0 Kudos
kenn2347
3 Zinc

Jump to solution

maybe it is just showing that the memory part of the card is ok but the battery part doesnt get reported and can be bad.  were you able to get the support files uploaded?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos