Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 15th, 2018 08:00

AX4-5 with new hard Disk DELL / SEAGATE but error code 0x7400

Hello,

I have a AX4-5 DELL/EMC unit and I recently buyed 3 new Dell certified hard drives. The problem is when I installed the drives, my Navisphere Express gives this message:

0x7400 There are disk drives in this storage system that are not working properly.

There's a difference between the old hard drives and it's their firmware version even if the model is exactly the same.

As you can see on the left is the old one and on the right the new one

HARD DISK.jpg

My FLARE-Operating-Environment version is: 02.23.050.5.705

I really hope you could help me....I'm stuck but I need to install this 3 new hard drives.

1.2K Posts

March 16th, 2018 06:00

Did you buy new Seagate drives, as in the drives on the left in your picture?  You need to purchase your drives from Dell/EMC or an authorized reseller.  The drives for your AX4 need to be properly partitioned and formatted to the proper specification for your system.  Notice the firmware number at the bottom of the label on the right?  That indicates Dell has formatted the drive - you cannot just install a drive off the street.  The array will not recognize or format it for your use.

If you don't have an active support contract, you can contact Dell or an authorized reseller to buy the appropriate drives you need.

Let us know if that helps!

4.5K Posts

March 16th, 2018 15:00

Also, you should also update the Flare code on the array - .705 is not the latest - .711 is the latest and supports newer  drive types and also fixes a lot of other issues.

glen

3 Posts

March 19th, 2018 00:00

Hello Karl,

yes as you can see...the orginal HDD on the left is one of the 9 drives installed. But on the right you can see one of the other 3 HDDs I need to install. They are both SEAGATE as identical is the model ST3300657SS. Moreover the new ones were buyed from an authorized DELL reseller and, as always you can see, they are certified by DELL !!! I've contacted the authorized reseller before buying, told him the model and they sent us those new drives.

That's why I'm concerned and worried.

There's a tool I can use for preparing the new drives before trying again to install them in the AX4-5 ???

3 Posts

March 19th, 2018 00:00

Hello Glen

Yes I know my firmware is not the newest but it's not so simple for me to update the firmware as this machine is serving storage for something like 800 hosts running out of space now. I cannot simply stop the machine and it's creepy the simple idea of what could happen if something goes wrong during the update process. I've updated a lot of machines before when I had other backup options.

4.5K Posts

March 20th, 2018 15:00

Not sure about Dell reseller - normally you would go to a EMC reseller as they have the drives that are specially formatted for EMC arrays. They may have the same Seagate part number, but EMC modifies the drivers before use in the array. I haven't looked at a physical drive in a long time, but I thought there was an EMC sticker on it with the EMC part number.

Also, there is no tool available to format a blank drive in the special format that EMC uses.

glen

No Events found!