Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 17th, 2009 05:00

AX4-5i IOPS Maximum

Hi again,

Do you known how many IOPS maximum has AX4-5i with 2SP and 4x SAS 450GB 15k VaultDrives + 5 SAS 450GB 15k ???

It's possible calaculate the IOPS total before install the storage system ???

i've read the EMC CLARiiON Best Practices for Performance and Availability r.28.5 but i've not totally clear.

regards.

75 Posts

September 18th, 2009 15:00

Hello, the AX4-5i (iSCSI version) will scale to close to its maximum number of drives, which is 60. So, with 9 drives in the system, the drives are usually the bottleneck. You can use the 180 IOPS per drive figure as a rule of thumb, though please remember that's conservative (small random IO, assumes no cache optimizations helping the drives work). Real-world can be more or less depending on your workload. But it's a good planning number for small random IO.

You ask: "It's possible calaculate the IOPS total before install the storage system "

So, yes we can estimate what the disks are capable of: 9 * 180 = 1620 IOPS
(for a small random workload)

Next, how to figure out how much the host can achieve...which is possible if you know your IO profile. Since you've read best practices, you know how to characterize the IO. That is actually the hardest step - estimating read to write percentage, cache hit rates, etc.

Use the RAID algorithms from the Best Practices Guide to determine disk IO load after you have subtracted expected cache hit rates.

43 Posts

September 20th, 2009 15:00

Hi DaveZ,

Really 450GB SAS has 180 IOPS?? i thought that it has 150 IOPS.

Best Regards.

4.5K Posts

September 21st, 2009 07:00

You can use a rough estimate for the disks based on the speed of the disks:

15K RPM = 180 IOPS
10K RPM = 120 IOPS
7200 RPM = 60-80 IOPS

YOu can also use the Best Practices for the CX - it's similar enough to the AX that the basic concepts should work.

EMC CLARiiON Performance and Availability Release 28.5 Firmware Update Applied Best Practices.pdf

http://powerlink.emc.com/km/live1/en_US/Offering_Technical/White_Paper/h5773-clariion-perf-availability-release-28-firmware-wp.pdf

White Paper: An Introduction to EMC CLARiiON Storage Device Technology ¿ Applied Technology

http://powerlink.emc.com/km/live1/en_US/Offering_Technical/White_Paper/H4208-an-intro-emc-clariion-hard0drive-tech-wp.pdf

glen
No Events found!